Suspension help

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CDaleChick

#71 Post by CDaleChick »

looks like pro pilot would want an estimated $555

TCS said $450 if they have to do the conversion again... and $100 for a rebuild and then extra for springs...

sad.gif sad.gif

440EX4ME

#72 Post by 440EX4ME »

Originally posted by Derno24
Lenny it is really about 6,000-7,000 posts.  They like to have fun with me around here.  Besides like I am going to add to my list at the bottom "I'll be here to turn out the lights!"

Riding sunday you in Lenny?

Working on it. Seems I have the only honda that likes to get as much maint as a Dale biggrin.gif and I am trying to get everything back together after replacing the head gasket, but it looks like I may be able to get it done sometime tomorrow.

Where you planning on heading?

440EX4ME

#73 Post by 440EX4ME »

Originally posted by CDaleChick
looks like pro pilot would want an estimated $555

TCS said $450 if they have to do the conversion again... and $100 for a rebuild and then extra for springs...

sad.gif sad.gif

I Know shocks have gone up some since I got mine (actually I understand its more the retail price and price fixed min selling levels by the mfg) but before I would get into that or in that much deeper I would consider selling the ones you have to recoup as much $$$ as you can and just buy new shocks that are properly set up for you, and you may not be looking at much more than the rebuild fixes if you get a decent price on sale of these you have already.

Honestly I think with all the add on costs you may actually end up paying more to tcs than I paid for my LT Elkas new.

Curious if the prices you posted were for the fronts or all three shocks.

gnccblaze440

#74 Post by gnccblaze440 »

jim capitan is the way to go at pro pilot :head:...is does all my firends ohlins, for dirtbikes and quads...i am getting mine done there is winter

jwheat

#75 Post by jwheat »

Jim's the man! Sent them to him!

CDaleChick

#76 Post by CDaleChick »

Originally posted by 440EX4ME
I Know shocks have gone up some since I got mine (actually I understand its more the retail price and price fixed min selling levels by the mfg) but before I would get into that or in that much deeper I would consider selling the ones you have to recoup as much $$$ as you can and just buy new shocks that are properly set up for you, and you may not be looking at much more than the rebuild fixes if you get a decent price on sale of these you have already.

Honestly I think with all the add on costs you may actually end up paying  more to tcs than I paid for my LT Elkas new.

Curious if the prices you posted were for the fronts or all three shocks.

prices were for all 3 shocks...but i forgot to put in the prices of springs if they needed to buy new ones (pro pilot) so add another $100 at least to their price. Either way I cant afford to send my shocks to any of those places unless I get lucky and get hired ( I have been applying and going to interviews for a long time now...the hurricane "victims" took all of the jobs around here) and also if i get local businesses to sponsor me with some cash.

How much would new shocks cost me? I know if I bought them used Id still have to get them rebuilt and most likely end up being the same price bc my weight is so much lighter than 98% of the adult riders out there.

Exodus

#77 Post by Exodus »

Just a guess, but I cant imagine you would get new shocks any cheaper than what it would cost you to have these rebiult. Elkas with comp and rebound adjust long travels are somewhere around 1200, so that means your going to have to get 600-700 out of the ones you have just to cut even. And thats a stretch even if they're set up right for someone 200lbs, and that sounds unlikely. First thing I would do is beat down Jeff's door and ask him to fix it. I would think he would be willing to at least help you get closer than you are in valving. After all, he said he could valve them and set them up for YOU, he failed, so he should help fix the prob. I think thats where I would start, I can tell you thats what my suspension guy would do if he missed the valving by that far. If he couldnt get the valving right, then at the very least refund the money so I could have someone else do it. Thats just my opinion.

440EX4ME

#78 Post by 440EX4ME »

How much would new shocks cost me? I know if I bought them used Id still have to get them rebuilt and most likely end up being the same price bc my weight is so much lighter than 98% of the adult riders out there.

I think your getting the idea of why you have to get a killer deal on used shocks to make it worth it over buying new ones.

The LT elka's I have were right around $725, but that was over 2 years ago and before elka starting muscling around their dealers and fixing prices etc.

I have not priced them in a while, but I know they have gone up a lot, but that there is also a larger spread between the normal selling price (mostly retail with little discount, unless it changed again) and dealer cost. I suspect there going to be around $900-1000 give or take a little depending on the brand and the price you can negotiate, but I would be doing some shopping if you decide to go new because there has to be someone out there still willing to work out a good price below that $900 range.

I hope those prices are still somewhat accurate so I dont end up looking silly, but I have been shocked by what I have heard some have paid for the same exact shocks I have, and just cant see all that much changing in the manufacturing costs or currency exchanges to warrant it.

Exodus

#79 Post by Exodus »

Not to thrash on you 440, but if theres a race shop selling shocks comperable to those Moto Ohlins that she has, by all means, name some names. I'm sure theres more than one person who would love to get in on a deal like that. Personally I'm not in the market for new shocks, but I have seen prices from a few of the more popular race shops out there and the price on long travel fully adjustable shocks have been in the 1100-1400 dollar price range depending on make. Thats not to say there isnt someone out there selling them at 1000, but I for one haven't seen them.

Cdale Chick, I would honestly go after Jeff to fix his mistake, if he doesnt, then way the money options. It should be pretty clear cut as to what is going to be cheaper just by shopping around to see what the cheapest NEW shocks are compared to what you can fix yours for. Just my opinion.

440EX4ME

#80 Post by 440EX4ME »

Exo that is telling me that its worse than I thought as far as pricing goes.

**** sorry to hear it too cause they were overpriced when I got mine.

Anyhow I hope she is able to find someway that will work for her that is affordable etc.

As far as naming names goes one of the lower priced ones was the guys who did the rework for her, and there also one of those that was effected by the mfg trying to control things.

That was a few years ago and I know things change etc, and I know there was and is differences in the various brands too, but 1,400.00 is a whole lot of cash for two **** shocks unless there sending a tech in the box to help set them up.

I dont know who is doing it but I have seen decent prices on shocks on ebay too. Just a thought anyhow.