Suspension help

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
jesshamner

#101 Post by jesshamner »

SSD = Self Sagging Device

It sounds like the springs are for a heavier rider. I'm not suspension expert either but I know when my preload is too stiff and I use to have a pogo stick. LOL. The quad stands tall whether its moving or not. That's preload and has nothing to do with valving. I'm not saying there isn't a valving problem to be dealt with but I think the preload is the source of the high stance and has a lot to do with the pogo effect when landing jumps.

Kara, I think you should definintely get in contact with Jeff (via PM) and see if he knows what he did to them. He probably won't but its worth a try. If the valving is close, you need to switch the springs out to something that works better. This doesn't take a shock expert and you could probably find somebody locally to do that part.

Exodus

#102 Post by Exodus »

ZPS= Zero Preload Shock
SSD= Self Sagging Device

Hook, Wheat,
I did miss the fact that Jeff did the rebiuld a year ago on page two and that was my fault. I had thought this was a current prob and if it indeed was a current rebiuld he should have been responsible for the faulty valve job. But since she rode on it for this long I gave her another idea of how to handle the situation without getting rid of her shocks and end up spending more money than if she just fixed what she has. Not to jump in here, but give her a bit of a break, her nor anyone else has run down Jeff for his shock rebiulds, I just pointed out that if anyone does service work and that work isnt up to parr then they should fix the prob or refund the money.

Exodus

#103 Post by Exodus »

BTW, SSD was conceived from Elka, they created it to lower the quad. ZPS was conceived by PEP I think, and it to was a lowering device. It all depends on who does the work as to whats it called, Elka doesnt do a SSD system on anything but Elka shocks, but they did at one time sell SSD springs for conversions of other types of shocks and that happens to be the system on mine. In the end it doesnt really matter because everybody buys the SSD springs from Eibach anyway, so call it what you want it pretty much all works the same.

MX Quad Dad

#104 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I also think that after 1 year it's a little late. And we must also remember, mistakes can be made, even by the best.

With that said and another reasureing statment that it more than likely was an honest mistake. I bring back the mention about the ride higth. Springs don't get longer sitting (riding) for a year. I don't know about all suspension tuners but, every one I have delt with has sent tuning tips with parts or retuned shocks. First thing they say to do is race sag and from what I think I read it sound like there is no sag in the frount or rear . I belive it should be between 1/4 and 1/3 of the total wheel travel. My son weighing 130# we always shot for 1/3 or maybe a little more and bearly could get it and still have some tension on the spring with the quad off the ground. but when we got the Moto, I tried to get Ohlins to set them up with at least 1/3, but they refused.

My advice is, take some time while you are recovering and calling for shock prices to ask for some paper work on fine tuneing your suspension. learn what race sag is and how to adjust it and if you get your shocks redone and you can't get what you want with at least some tension on the springs, send them back. then try to have an understanding on what the other adjustments do

440EX4ME

#105 Post by 440EX4ME »

I have to agree that a year is a pretty long time, BUT what we all have to understand or agree to is that the majority of us dont really understand suspension tuning at all, and when you have nothing to compare with or the experience to tell the difference how can you expect to know to send them back immediately or if you just need to make some basic adjustments.

Lets be fair not only with cdalechick but also ourselves and accept that except for a couple people here we dont really know WTF were doing when it comes to suspension(myself included lol).

I have to admit its been and still is a learning curve for me, and even though I have put some serious effort into figuring this out I am not really at a point where I would want to be in my suspension knowledge considering the amount of time invested.

Also I think its meant to be this way so that we are more reliant on the shock manufacturers and local rebuilders etc, and thats understandable but still sad since the overwhelming majority of riders I have seen really dont know for sure if there shocks are right or mostly if they are getting the best possible ride from their shocks or if it could improve with some simple adjustments (clicker settings) or changes in the springs etc.

I dont know how the mods here feel about links to other sites, but if your one of us who doesnt really have the experience on this stuff that would allow you to understand if your getting the best performance you can from your suspension then you really should take a look at this thread
everything you always wanted to know about suspension

It raises more questions than it answers (which I think is good) but there is plenty of good info there, and I cant see any reason that a similar thread couldnt be started here (hey there is plenty of interest right now correct?) if anyone wants to continue it etc. No matter if your partially to blame for your good or bad ride quality or if your shocks were set up so bad you didnt have a chance at getting them right a little knowledge is priceless in helping to determine how to make it better.

440EX4ME

#106 Post by 440EX4ME »

Cdalechick it also sounds like you could benefit from making some changes to what you have now. Even though there is only so much you can do beyond the springs and valving you can still see improvement from adjustments to preload, ride height (front to rear), compression settings, and especially rebound settings.

There is info avail all over the net to help you learn how to set things or fine tune etc, but one of the easiest I have found (for the rear anyhow since its on a bike site) is here offroad tuning Though this one is really easy to understand and will greatly help you set up the rear shock please remember that most of the other info is specific to bikes, and will only confuse you since an atv is really tuned different than a two wheeler. Still the info on setting rebound and comp for the rear shock is similar, and the simple terms and methods used make it easy for anyone to do.

If you like you can search out more detailed info for atvs (most of the shock mfg and some of the more web experienced rebuilders have info on their sites) but either way I think you can get better results from what you have now with some simple testing and adjustments that should help until you can get this whole thing set up right.

I dont think anyone is trying to trash the people who did the original build on her shocks, and personally I have been referring to all the conversions not just this one guys etc, but if were going to help her (besides sending $$$ lmao) we need to stay focused on what is needed and not who did what in the past.

I would still first be contacting the people who did them originally, and that shoudnt be effected by how long ago it was done. Sure the longer it has been the better chance of having to put some $$$ into the deal, but I still think you have to give the original people a shot, and since $$ is a real concern you owe it to yourself to atleast talk with them no matter to your current intentions.

Only other thing I can think of that would help me to offer any more suggestions (remember I am not the pro here lol) is some pics of the atv on a flat surface from the side without any rider, and then with you on it. Some sort of reference to be able to see how much if any sag there is would also be helpful.

Maybe if you have some time to check out the thread I linked earlier you will better understand what I am after and be able to know what your looking for etc.

CptHook

#107 Post by CptHook »

For some reason I keep getting grouped with jwheat as if I was agreeing with him and accusing her, even though the whole point of my post was the exact opposite, but whatever.

There is also a brief explanation and guide to tuning in the ohlins manual pdf on this site, I dont know if anyone has checked it out. It's nothing too descriptive or in depth, but if gets the main concepts across I think, or at least it did for me a while back.

JeffQuadShop

#108 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Kara, last time I talked to you said the shocks where great and 100% better than they have ever been. Even when you told me you had a wreck you never even mentioned that it could have been the shocks fault.
With that said, when I first received your shocks I told you that they where wore out and on their last leg and that they had been abused before and never been serviced. I recommended that you buy new shocks but you said that you didn't have enough money which I can totally understand that. I told you that I would do what I can with them. I replaced everything I could with the budget you had, and like you said earlier I gave you a sponsor ship deal and only charged you for the parts but nothing for labor.
The rear shock did blow soon after you received it and I gladly took it back and repaird the seal and said that it was due to wore shaft. Again you said that you didn't have the money to put into them so I just replaced the seals and sent it back at no charge.
Since then, this is the first I've heard that you where having more problems with them.

JeffQuadShop

#109 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Originally posted by mmitteer
The only problem with The Quadshop is he will not talk to you on the phone.  Email only.  A lot of things can be solved with a five or ten minute phone call.  I just got my Blaze shocks rebuilt and revalved by Derisi Racing.  All three cost me just under $400 with shipping.  They work great.  If you have a problem just call Santo and he tells you what to do.  He also guarantees his work.  Good luck with what ever you do.

Matt
I have taken another job and am only doing TQS on the side. I am not here during the day to answer the phones and there is no since paying $250 a mounth for a phone that I am not here to answer. I will however answer any question you have by email at night when I get home.

badvox

#110 Post by badvox »

I was wondering when we would get the other side and the actual condition of the shock...

Im afraid I would have to say ya shoulda bought new shocks then. Garbage in garbage out sometimes. By the time you keep adding up and adding up to keep these going you'd be in a new set of elka's or TCS way before then.

~mike

Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Kara, last time I talked to you said the shocks where great and 100% better than they have ever been. Even when you told me you had a wreck you never even mentioned that it could have been the shocks fault.
With that said, when I first received your shocks I told you that they where wore out and on their last leg and that they had been abused before and never been serviced. I recommended that you buy new shocks but you said that you didn't have enough money which I can totally understand that. I told you that I would do what I can with them. I replaced everything I could with the budget you had, and like you said earlier I gave you a sponsor ship deal and only charged you for the parts but nothing for labor.
The rear shock did blow soon after you received it and I gladly took it back and repaird the seal and said that it was due to wore shaft. Again you said that you didn't have the money to put into them so I just replaced the seals and sent it back at no charge.
Since then, this is the first I've heard that you where having more problems with them.