Ball joint modifications

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
harleypitbull1

Ball joint modifications

#1 Post by harleypitbull1 »

I was going through the site and noticed Wistechs idea for the ball joint mods. I had a machine shop do this exact thing to my a arms about 4 months ago. Two of us that ride together did it at the same time after one of our stock ball joints broke. We put the LSR ball joints in and had not had any trouble till two weeks ago and I broke one of them. The wheel on that side had a bad bend in it, so I guess I hit something. I am glad it broke when it did cause I was in first gear going through a mud hole. If it broke ten minutes before that I would probably not be typing this. Nothing looked wrong with the ball joint, it just popped out. LSR said they would replace it, I checked the other ball joints and all of them seemed fine. Just an idea for everyone that was thinking about Wistechs mod. It has worked good for me. I have the threaded sleeve and a jamb nut on each side of the arm. This also gives plenty of adjustment. Might even be able to make plus one arms this way, but it might weaken the shaft on the ball joint if you extend it that far. Just an idea

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

So what broke ? Did the ball joint pop out or the threaded rod break.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I see a lot of aftermarket joint using such small threaded shafts and cant help wonder if they can handle the stress. My ASR a arms use 3/4" hiem joints which would tear the quad in half before they ever failed. Ive kinda been leary of using tie rod ends off a car because they are designed for a load thats not trying to pull the ball out of it socket like a ball joint.

harleypitbull1

#4 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Sorry for the delay guys, I have been in Florida riding. The ball joint popped out. No dirt or anything inside it nor was the boot tore. Just looked as if it had been pulled out. Two marks on the side where it came out but besides that no damage.