swingarm bolt removel

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
rubicon20032003

swingarm bolt removel

#1 Post by rubicon20032003 »

Whats a easy way to get out?I have it jacked up on cradle.Should i pull shock off swingarm? It will only come out about a inch so far.I had it out when new motor was out in.Maybe i'm supporting it wrong?

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

B.F.H. :hammer:

LOL

Support the engine cradle and start removing the bolt. I would then put another bolt in from the vacated side to keep the assembly together while you replace the old bolt. When driving the new bolt in, it will knock out the temporary bolt. I use an old bolt that is slightly smaller so that it moves in and out easier for the temporary bolt.

Good Luck

theJeStEr1340

#3 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

use a ball peen hammer and a BFH, put the peen end against the end of the bolt and hit it with the BFH.

banzairx7

#4 Post by banzairx7 »

Thes ethings get jammed! I had to use a 5lb sledge to get mine out. The bearings/races seize right up on em. Your probably going to need new bearings. I grease mine with marine trailer bearing grease. Its not water soluble so it sticks around a lot longer than regular grease.

Smitty911

Small problem with the grease

#5 Post by Smitty911 »

I used to sell boats so for those of you using Water Proof Grease a word of warning.

The water proof grease traps water in pockets and can start rusting what ever you put it on. I have personaly seen some outboards that need new steering shafts cause they used that stuff and never checked it.

Lube often, if you keep it lubed it should come out alot easier.

Smitty

z71

#6 Post by z71 »

You have to spray good penitrating oil on it and let it sit. Something like BP blaster I think Wallmart sells it. Then find some thing to match the diameter of the swing arm bolt but alittle smaller so it does'nt get stuck when you smack it. It probably does not matter since the head of the bolt is already broke.Something like a chisel with flat tip.We did this on a quad racer before it was a ***** but it came out.

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

If you jack the cradle up only slightly, you can hit a sweet spot of least strain on the bolt -- loosening the rear cradle bolts can also make a big difference, when things don't quite match up.

rubicon20032003

#8 Post by rubicon20032003 »

Got it out with a dead blow hammer and long punch