Rear Brakes soft???

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
DMAC10

#1 Post by DMAC10 »

I need some advice.

My rear brakes feel soft when you apply them. They slow you down and if you push hard enough they will lock the rear wheels up, but they just don't feel right.

I have cleaned the pads blead the breaks, put new DOT 4 fluid in and blead them again, no change.

I like to feel the brakes when applying them coming into a corner, right now its basically all or nothing so lets hear what everyone thinks.

Any Ideas???

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

...new pads $15, SS rear brake line $30, a rear wave rotor $75, or a master cylinder with rezzy $25. If the pads are thick enough, and the rotor is still thick enough, then the problem is likely the master cylinder, or a pesky air pocket.

( ps. pm: I may owe you an alternate fuel fitting....pics following today)

DMAC10

#3 Post by DMAC10 »

The bpads are brand new, Brake line should be O.K. Rotor thichness appears to be fineAlmost no signs of wear.( I would Love to have a Rear Wave ) to tight to spend the cash right now. 'll trade you a seat????LOL

Air pocket , I hope, any new tricks to maybe get rid of one, I've tried all that I know.( Not that that is much)

Fuel fitting??? When the package gets in I'll check and see, Hmmm I don't even know how manyI should be getting. Thats why Your the expert( Canniboomer ) and I'm just the apprentice or something.

Can't wait to put the new fuel line system in.

I'll be waiting for those pictures.

QUOTE (Canniboomer @ Aug 11 2006, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...new pads $15, SS rear brake line $30, a rear wave rotor $75, or a master cylinder with rezzy $25. If the pads are thick enough, and the rotor is still thick enough, then the problem is likely the master cylinder, or a pesky air pocket.

( ps. pm: I may owe you an alternate fuel fitting....pics following today)

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Only other thing I can think of is either a bent rotor,bent mount since pads must be parrallel with disc .Or if your carrier bearings are bad or locknut loose causing axle to go left to right a little it would do that.Rear bleeds real easy even just by opening bleed screw and letting gravity do the job.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

...good points to watch for.
And maybe check the brake pedal pivot bolt, and plunger linkage for any looseness, which would rob you of some leverage.

DMAC10

#6 Post by DMAC10 »

Thanks Guys
I have new carrier bearings and I did check the axle lock nut. Rotor has no side to side movement.

The caliper has a little movement forward when you apply the breaks, That may be it actually rock a little bit. Is there some way to minimize this??

I've blead the rear before with no trouble, so I feel like that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll have to check the foot lever for any looseness.

Again thanks for the responses.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

The brake stay has a roller on it that isnt a perfect fit.Little forward motion is normal.