Help with stem and movement

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
twisted

#1 Post by twisted »

Well I dunno whats wrong but I pull on my bars and my stem moves up like almost an inch, it has alot of play, is there a bearing or something in the lower part of the stem, (thing that connects to the tierods and stuff), I think I need a new one.. also my tie rod ends are shot, but I cant afford to buy new ones, im just gonna wait to get a new front end. So i'll just keep tighteting them every race.

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

So what exactly do you need help with? There is a bearing at the base of the steering stem. It is probably shot. Mine is in the same condition and I will be replacing it soon. They're only about 20 bucks.

twisted

#3 Post by twisted »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Aug 28 2006, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So what exactly do you need help with? There is a bearing at the base of the steering stem. It is probably shot. Mine is in the same condition and I will be replacing it soon. They're only about 20 bucks.

Oh ok so I need this new bearing and everything is cool?

jesshamner

#4 Post by jesshamner »

Have you checked all the nuts and bolts down there. They get loose sometimes. That might help. If it doesn't, you might take a look at that bearing down there. I thought maybe things were loose on mine so I tightened everything down and I still get vertical movement. New bearing is on its way.

Psychosis

#5 Post by Psychosis »

New tie rod ends are like $40 also for a set from Brad aren't they? That's not too bad. If they're getting bad, do whatever it takes to replace them. I wrecked once b/c they were getting bad and I'd been waiting to fix them. Not bad, but wished I had replaced them. Do the smart thing and find a way to get some new ones.

MyCannibal

#6 Post by MyCannibal »

I believe his carbon fiber one ( which is "the way" to go ) are more than that for a set of 4.....