XC tires

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
NRath

#1 Post by NRath »

It's been a while since we've seen a tire thread and there's a new tire to throw in the mix with the ITP GNCC. So, what do you think? Which one's best? Ideally, someone could chime in with personal experience on more than one of the tires. I'm thinking mostly about rears right now, so...

Maxxis Razor
or
Maxxis Razor II
or
Maxxis I-Razor
or
Holeshot HD
or
Holeshot GNCC
or
Holeshot XCR

If you noticed, I'm thinking about tires related to xc riding and racing. I'd probably be all for the GNCC, but I'm worried it may be very soft and wouldn't hold up well to trail riding and by the time a race came up, it would be worn out. I've about worn out a set of XCR's and I've been pretty happy with them. They seem to have good forward bite and pretty predictable sliding. I had a set of Razors on a Warrior long ago and felt like they were great at first, but after the edges got rounded off, the traction dropped off a good bit. But, that was on a Warrior, so it isn't a very good comparison. Looking at Duane Johnson's set up in Dirt wheels, I think he was running the Razor, though. So, I'm puzzled.

I had been looking to the HD as my next set of rears, they look like they'd have great traction in the ruts, but the tread is so tight, it looks like it may pack up real bad and be a turd in the mud.

??????

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

I have Razor II all around, love em. Buddy has the holeshot HDs, very nice and don't pack up too much.

jesshamner

#3 Post by jesshamner »

There seems to be a few people running razrs still when its not too sloppy. Then they switch ti Irazr or razr2s. DMAC10 was raving about the gncc fronts after going to PA for the group ride. He didn't say a whole lot about the rears though. Derno usually has some good input too. I'm sure if you can make holeshots work at Glamis, you can use pretty much anything. wink.gif

CannondaleRider

#4 Post by CannondaleRider »

I love Maxxis tires.

I run Razr I's and II's,

Razr I's for the dryer, hard pack races....or even loamy races. They don't have as much sidebite, so it's easier to get the back end out, and it wastes less energy because your not fighting to keep it on all fours. Also, it's easier to control the amount of traction you get.

Razr II's for muddy, or sandy races. They bite VERY well, in straightline, and for sidebite. On terrain with more traction, they tend to make it hard to turn, either due to you straightlining, or because they don't slide very well, and try to highside you.

I've never ran the I-Razr's, but I've heard, and seen that they wear pretty fast. But, i've heard they hook up well, and slide controllably

Just my .02

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

Oh geez, sorry about that...I run the I razors....puff puff give. I did have the razor 2 before, liked them too. smile.gif I-Razors for the win. But they do wear pretty good. But ****, when you ride hard all tires will wear.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#6 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

For desert racing I run 23" ITP XCT's up front and 20" ITP HD's in the rear. I really love this combo.

DMAC10

#7 Post by DMAC10 »

ITP GNCC fronts

I love the way they handle,( YEA I talked Jesshamner's ear off about them in PA).
I Also ran them in the Ironman, they performed very well under those conditions as well. I didn't see any abnormal wear after the race. They handle the mud well and cornered great in the dryer areas.

The rears GNCC ran great up in the PA trails.as well, not sure about wear, thats the only time I've used them. They also performed very good on the MX track even with me running way to much air pressure, if i had dropped them down to a normal pressure, I might have ran faster in the time trials.

I usually run the rear ITP XCR in the MidSouth series, they have performed very well , they handle great in cornering at speeds. As far as wear they have done pretty good.

If it is a mud fest then I put on the Razor II's, they performed great at the Ironman in all that mud.

Well thats my 2 cents worth wink.gif

2000ex

#8 Post by 2000ex »

I would even take a look at the Kenda Knarly. They make a great xc tire as well.

yamadjs08

#9 Post by yamadjs08 »

I've had good luck with XCR's, Ive never run a maxxis tire, so I have no input there. But unless you dont mind buying new tires often, I dont reccommend the GNCC rears, they are a great tire, hook up great, but wear very fast for an XC tire, they wear like an MX tire.