Polish? Then Clearcoat?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Dale512

Polish? Then Clearcoat?

#1 Post by Dale512 »

I would like too polish my frame, but only if up keep wouldnt be too bad. Would it be possible to Polish it then spray a few coats of Automotive Clear coat on it? Would the clearcoat stick? Would it hold up? Whats the worst thing that could happen?

jamiesel

#2 Post by jamiesel »

mines polished, I just hit it with an automotive buffer every once in a while.... no prob

Big Winky

#3 Post by Big Winky »

Polished automobile wheels are clearcoat powdercoated. but keep in mind that after a while the powdercoat will start to chip. (look at a set of alum. wheels that have beeen on a car for a few years) Personally we are gold anodizing a c-dale frame, (makes for a harder surface than powdercoating, but a bit $$$) Clear anodizing is also available. custom axis and elka use anodizing on their rezzys and they seem to hold up pretty well to rocks and such and anodizing can be scratched and wore but it doesn't chip

Dale512

??

#4 Post by Dale512 »

So I could polish the frame and then get it clear Anodized and it would hold its shine? About how much would it cost to get this Clear Anodizing done? Are you personally doing the anodizing? Are you going to have pics of that Gold Frame? Also what are you doing about those little metal inserts?

Thanks

Big Winky

#5 Post by Big Winky »

i'll dig up the name of the plating company that's going to do ours, it's located in western ohio around warren-youngstown area and post it.

haydug

#6 Post by haydug »

What is he charging to anadize? I just talked to a guy this weekend at High-Point about anodizeing one for me. I'm thinking about doing one red.

Big Winky

#7 Post by Big Winky »

when i talked to them on the phone, they want me get the frame all clean and ready, then take it down there, they'll look at it and tell me how many $$$ to bring with me when i come back to pick it up.

jake1981

#8 Post by jake1981 »

The frame has I think they are chromoly inserts aren't they? how much to get a frame anodized???

Big Winky

#9 Post by Big Winky »

i was told .... most likely in the $200-300 range, but they would nail price down better when i got the frame there. (i have a road trip of 120 mi. each way to get there) time has been short lately, but plan to get there in july with the frame.

jake1981

#10 Post by jake1981 »

Let us know what they come up with and make sure to post some pics when they are done with it. Thanks man.