Got my TCS LT's, Have a question......

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
promod

#1 Post by promod »

I'm setting the ride height at 7 1/2" in the front and 7" at the foot peg to start with. When I lift the front end off the ground and grab the springs you can move them around a good bit. Is this normal?? Also when the front end is on the ground (and me on it) the top spring is compressed all the way making it non-functional. Is this also normal??

Thanks for any help

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Your springs shouldn't have play in them. There should be some tension on the springs at all times or the retainers could come loose. Who set your shocks up? You may want to call them and ask what they set it up for.

And I am guessing you have a ssd or zps setup. The top spring is there just to keep tension on the setup when fully extended. It will fully compress under any weight to reduced ride height.

toothandnail

#3 Post by toothandnail »

lift front off the floor ,let supension go to full droop , tighten top rings down until they just touch the springs, lower back down ,you should be good to go. the lightest top spring should be fuly comperssed when quad is just sitting there ,that is where you get the lower ride ht. when you jump they extend to keep light pressure on shock components so nothing comes apart.

promod

#4 Post by promod »

Thanks guys. Yes that make sense about the top spring and after messing around with it last night I figured that's what it was for.

tooth&nail, that's exactly what I did, picked the front end up and ran the adjust to the spring. Now with it set like that, my ride height is 7 1/4" in the front and 7" in the back, if by chance I wanted to lower the bike down more, it looks like I can not, you think that may be a problem or am I being a pain in the azz?

I setup the suspension on 4.5* Caster, -4.5*Camber, dead nuts and about 1/4" toe-in.

toothandnail

#5 Post by toothandnail »

you can lower it down more by running the top nuts all the way up , we do that to get lower for flattrack ,but I wouldn't recommend for anything else, to much risk of losing a spring retainer.

theJeStEr1340

#6 Post by theJeStEr1340 »

7ish sounds good for mx.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (tooth&nail @ Jan 9 2007, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you can lower it down more by running the top nuts all the way up , we do that to get lower for flattrack ,but I wouldn't recommend for anything else, to much risk of losing a spring retainer.

Really?The TCS ZPS spring isnt long enough to allow shock to rest on bumpstops without everything being loose when off ground?That is lame.How much space is left?I can get some nice ZPS springs from Arctic cat that are long enough to allow lowering shocks to the bumpstops.They are from a 2001 SnoPro.

promod

#8 Post by promod »

QUOTE (theJeStEr1340 @ Jan 9 2007, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
7ish sounds good for mx.

Cool. I'm just going to shutup and ride the thing. My buddy has a groomed super-cross track in his back yard and as it stands right now, the bike has more balls than I do....I'll take some pic's this weekend, the track is bad azz.

toothandnail

#9 Post by toothandnail »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 10 2007, 06:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really?The TCS ZPS spring isnt long enough to allow shock to rest on bumpstops without everything being loose when off ground?That is lame.How much space is left?I can get some nice ZPS springs from Arctic cat that are long enough to allow lowering shocks to the bumpstops.They are from a 2001 SnoPro.

We have about 1/2".
I'm not sure why you would need to go any lower ,our frame starts to hit the way it is, just about 1"compression on bumpstop(TT setup)about 3" ride ht, below engine cradle.

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Wouldnt need to go lower but you said the springs were loose when setup for TT.That could be dangerous.