Any reason not to run arvins upside down?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
rayspeed

#1 Post by rayspeed »

I pulled my ohlins off to send out for service and had some arvins to stick on till I get them back. I was just wondering if there is any reason that the arvins wont work if you mount them the other way around than the factory had them. Seems like keeping the sprung weight down with the heavy end of the shock on top would be better along with the seals facing down would help them self clean, like all other performance shocks! But what do I know... it doesnt seem like anything in there would depend on gravity!
It is my backup ride and may not be ridden before they come back but it would be nice to know if I will need to flip em back!
Thanks and 27 I will be shipping out a big box of shocks next week!
Ray

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

I dont know if its true.It would depend on what type of shock a Arvin is.Some shocks the oil and the gascharge(if any) arent seperated by a piston or bag so if upside down the shock valving travels into the gas pocket which wont provide any damping.

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

Typically upside down forks utilize a different style seal to deal with the additional gravitational forces. I would recommend running them as they are designed for maximum life....