Is this an OEM Tie Rod end?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Nickc711

#1 Post by Nickc711 »

Is this an OEM Tie Rod end?

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Yep the boot is aftermarket though.

Nickc711

#3 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (Wistech @ Mar 10 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep the boot is aftermarket though.

are they reliable? i don't race...trail ride

i never had trouble them but i did hear some things

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

I would replace them...Its just a matter of time before they fail...when you least expect it too...I think they came to the conclusion that the stock ends were out of round and over time the ball will just pop out...I went over the handle bars when mine failed...luckily I was only cruisin around when it happened.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (MyCannibal @ Mar 10 2008, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would replace them...Its just a matter of time before they fail...when you least expect it too...I think they came to the conclusion that the stock ends were out of round and over time the ball will just pop out...I went over the handle bars when mine failed...luckily I was only cruisin around when it happened.

Those are the Balljoints your talking about.Yes those need to be watched very carefully.Every ride.

Pic is a tierod end. If steering is sloppy they need replacing but never heard of one actually popping out. Not a safety issue like balljoints.

Nickc711

#6 Post by Nickc711 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Mar 10 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Those are the Balljoints your talking about.Yes those need to be watched very carefully.Every ride.

Pic is a tierod end.If steering is sloppy they need replacing but never heard of one actually popping out.Not a safety issue like balljoints.

ya.. I got American star a-arms they come with their own ball joints...I'll probably replace the tie rod ends ........eventually...

peterock

#7 Post by peterock »

If those are all american star components you are good. I haven't heard of them failing.

rayspeed

#8 Post by rayspeed »

Replace them when the slop bothers you... as in how much the bars move before the wheels turn. A full set of improved ones that you will likely never have to replace are less than $40 from Black Widow so any play at all and there is no real reason to wait!
I just put on another set last night.
The dangerous ones are the ball joints... to test those stick a knee into the top of the front wheel at about a 45 degree angle while you look at the bottom joint and it is loose you will see it moving up and down and anything more than a little bit is risky
New set of those are about a hundred dollars.
Ray

MyCannibal

#9 Post by MyCannibal »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Mar 11 2008, 01:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Pic is a tierod end. If steering is sloppy they need replacing but never heard of one actually popping out. Not a safety issue like balljoints.

I was thinking the tie rod ends were out of round on the inside along with the ball joints...