Shock Fade

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
2000ex

#1 Post by 2000ex »

I am running a PEP rear shock that runs VERY close to the HMF full header. I noticed it while practicing the other day that the shock would fade quite badly after about 15 mins of hard MX running. Obviously since it is very close to the shock, a great deal of heat is transmitted directly to the shock causing the oil to breadown and the shock to fade.

Has anyone else had this problem? I think I am going to try wrapping the header in some fiberglass wrap and see if that helps.

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Sounds like your shock needs a sevice.

311racer

#3 Post by 311racer »

I wraped my head in header wrap and it made a huge difference. Get your shock serviced and wrap the head. You would be in goood shape. I can take some photos if you like.

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

I wrap my header too, for the same reason. Service it and wrap the header, you should be good. Your going to get some fade as the oil heats up. If you still have problems after getting it serviced, you might need some valving or spring changes.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

I dont remember if the hmf is steel or stainless. If its steel wrapping it might help. Stainless and TI dont radiate anywhere near the heat the steel does.

2000ex

#6 Post by 2000ex »

I was going to put some fresh oil in, however the header wrap should certainly help. I have some very thin fiberglass wrap then cover it in high temp reflective tape. If it helps any to drop the oil temps in the shock it will perform much better for a longer period of time.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

I was always going to try and make a shield of some sort.But wrap or Ceramic coating (JetHot) works well also.

2000ex

#8 Post by 2000ex »

I have some ceramic coating here that I used for Harley pipes a while back when I used to do some custom coating jobs. Maybe I will just shoot the header then finish it with some fiberglass wrap for good measure smile.gif