ouch!!! caliper hits exhaust

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
2mike18

#1 Post by 2mike18 »

mad.gif So yesterday I went to practice mx and dial in my shocks and such, and today while cleaning my dale I came to see that my caliper hit the fmf ti exhaust and dented it along with somehow spinning it in the mount and to make it worse I broke one of the springs and also the mount on the headpipe. looks like that is the only damage to the header and I hear that if I cut the can down to 8in it performs better. now for the question once I fix this how do I stop it from happening again????

thedeatons

#2 Post by thedeatons »

I believe that is the incorrect aluminum spacer. My spacer measures out to about 2-1/8" wide, and it never came close to hitting the caliper...

I called Muzzy a while back and they said to use titanium wire to make spring mount tabs. They use wire, bend it up, then weld it to the header. Wistech should be able to do some Ti welding magic for you...

By the way, I have an extra FMF Ti Quiet Core if you ever need it. $20 shipped.

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

QUOTE (darkknight @ May 4 2008, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
mad.gif So yesterday I went to practice mx and dial in my shocks and such, and today while cleaning my dale I came to see that my caliper hit the fmf ti exhaust and dented it along with somehow spinning it in the mount and to make it worse I broke one of the springs and also the mount on the headpipe. looks like that is the only damage to the header and I hear that if I cut the can down to 8in it performs better. now for the question once I fix this how do I stop it from happening again????

For one your can should be mounted out about 2 inches further than it is. If correct when you look down you should see the caliper will just miss the can by a half inch under full compresion.
When bolting on the TI headpipe I bolt the rear mount in last after the head flange is tightened down. If the bracket is not close to the frame mount you need to use washers to take up the clearance . Do not use the bolt to pull the bracket or they will break for sure. After the headpipe is on then do the same with the can. The can should not be forcing the header anywhere. If its to close to the subframe then I heat the headpipe up with a torch very good and gently bend it out a little so there is no pressure on anything.

Smacking the caliper always was an issue with the fmf clamp because even if it cleared the caliper during inspection when landing a jump the bracket would bend in an inch and whamo. I see you have an accuseal clamp on yours. I get rid of the center peices and use stainless washers shimmed till they grip the can without crushing it. If its turning its to loose. If its tight enough you wont need the springs anymore either. Your muffler is easily repairable with a large pipe on the inside and a plastic mallet. The outside of the clamp should be using the half moon washers that came with it.