Frame failures

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
jesshamner

#1 Post by jesshamner »

If you have experienced a main frame or cradle failure or know someone that has, please list it here. I want to get a count of how many times these frames have cracked or broken. This discussion stems from the other thread about how strong the frames are. Stories of how the failure occured are encouraged!

Please list the name and then frame or cradle. List each incident individually. Do not list the incident if a previous failure had occured and was welded or fixed.

ie: cdrookie - frame

2000ex

#2 Post by 2000ex »

I have cracked 2 frames. One I snapped off the lower subframe tab off the frame (this is the cast piece section) and the other was a crack at the lower a-arm weld. I had both welded and repaired and are working fine

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

I've welded up about half a dozen cradles and 2 subframe mounts. My Moto original frame had been warrantied from Cannondale because the owner was motocrossing without the frame strut. He didn't realize how important that part was. LOL
Lets not forget people motocrossing with FX400 swingarms.

svahle

#4 Post by svahle »

I had a cradle crack on the left side at the motor mount. I had the motor mount update installed and it was properly shimmed. I had an extra cradle that was previously cracked but welded and it has held up fine for over a year.

thedeatons

#5 Post by thedeatons »

thedeatons - Cradle

I had the cradle on my moto get a hairline crack right at the weld. It was tiny, and I never saw anything come of it... I had actually forgotten about that until I saw this post.

Glamis#2 - Cradle (On the LE he bought in Sac)

I don't know if Rob knows this or not, but the cradle on that LE had been cracked a couple times, even before the previous owner in Sac had it. The quad used to run in Quad Wars at the monster truck show. I have to assume that the big air and antics from that, combined with the relative lack of travel of the standard front Ohlins contributed to the cracking. NGR (Nick Granlund) and his friend (can't remember his name, races supermoto now) welded up triangular gussets beside the vertical cradle posts where the engine mount update installs.

In my opinion the cradles need a second sheet of 1/8" or 1/4" aluminum welded underneath them, for additional strength and flex resistance.

cdsracer - frame (Sorry Chris, speaking for you)

We bought a Cannibal one time for $800, wrapped up on a pallet in pieces, but everything was there. One of the subframe mounting tabs was gone. We eventually replaced it, but we are not sure how it broke off in the first place.

jesshamner

#6 Post by jesshamner »

Those subframe mounting tabs will break off very easily. I actually broke a rear brake mounting tab too. Kdeal told me that he had seen a few that broke during shipping.

ACEwrench

#7 Post by ACEwrench »

we had a total of 6 dales (3 motos, speed and 2 cannibals) when we were racing them. The only thing we've broke was one subframe mount. we bent a frame (which i am still using today) and had the a-arm mounts rewelded because of cracks...we've also seen cracks in cradles around the lower engine mount.