No cotter pins on a moto axle

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
desertbound

#1 Post by desertbound »

I was suprised to see that the moto axles don't run cotter pins. Just a huge Nylock nut. Have any of you drilled a hole for a cotter pin? I'm not sure if I need them. I torqued the nuts to spec and they definately aren't moving.

Also.. are these axles made by Team Industries by any chance? I ran a team industries axle on a 450r because it was the only one I never bent. It came with billet hubs and it looks a lot like the moto axle and the stock cannondale hubs. Just wondering if anyone knew if the stock axles were indeed Team Industries. If so, thats pretty neat.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

I drilled mine for cotter pins.Had to use different outside washers to make room though.I thought RPM made them but Brad would be one to ask.

peterock

#3 Post by peterock »

I don't believe RPM made them. Been talking to them a lot lately and even though they did stock the axles at one time, it doesn't sound like they made the oem's.

However, with that. 450r conversion hubs are being made by RPM. I should have them available in the next couple of weeks. It will allow you to use the rpm 450r axle. Been working on stuff with them for a while now and finally have everything squared away this week and the go ahead.

Speed 1B

#4 Post by Speed 1B »

The aluminum axle on my drag bike is an RPM 250R axle.

The guy at RPM told me i could buy a hub off of him to make it work or machine a spacer for between the sprocket and the snap ring. I went with the spacer. My guess is the 450R axle is the same set-up. I trust the spacer for drag racing, but for hard trail riding and GNCCs id feel better with a different hub. For just general riding though id probably try the spacer.

That was a helll of a nice gesture by him though...he could have sold me a hub and made money but told me to make a spacer. Ill be buying an adjustable axle from rpm for my trail quad in the future. Top notch company.

peterock

#5 Post by peterock »

They don't mess around either with quality. They insisted the hub be a press fit and not just slide on like the Lonestar.