FOX Cannibal Shock Warning

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cannondale27

#1 Post by cannondale27 »

I have been seeing quite a few these shocks where the body has come loose from upper eyelet assembly. This is from adjusting the spring preload. If it were to come all the way out it would be very bad. When you adjust the preload always loosen the upper ring first. This is turning ring in right hand direction which cannot loosen the body. Once preload is adjusted snug up the upper ring then tighten lower ring up against it. This ensures that you won't loosen the body. If the body is loose enough oil will leak out. Stop riding at that point or sooner and get it fixed. Try turning the body. If it turns stop riding.
[attachment=6763:Fox_001__Small_.jpg]
[attachment=6764:Fox_002__Small_.jpg]
[attachment=6765:Fox_003__Small_.jpg]

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

Very good tip and warning,....... thanks!,
and that seems like a good thing to keep in mind for any shock -- even though the Ohlins threadlocker must be quite strong by comparison.

Anyway, I guess I'm lucky enough to have two shock wrenches, so I can oppose one nut while unlocking the other, which also prevents that from happening,.... and I don't even have to "think" wacko.gif

thedeatons

#3 Post by thedeatons »

Yeah, new Ohlins come with two preload spanner wrenches. I believe my original Moto Owner's Packet came with two also.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Have never seen a Ohlins loose, so yes they must have used a good locker and tighter threads. How do you guys get two wrenches in there with it on quad? Normally for most it's big screwdriver time. Nothing wrong with that other than buggering up adjuster collar but you need to be careful. I have taken to using the 272 Loctite on the Fox. Probably going to regret it if one ever needs to be removed but better to be safe.