Steering Stem Plate Snapped

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
2000ex

#1 Post by 2000ex »

Has anyone else had an early stem have the plate weld pull away from the stem completely? My lower plate completely came of in an XC race today and I did not even hit anything!

At least a fellow Daler "Derno" was able to pull ahead of me for the class win. I thought it was something loose up front then all of a sudden no steering at all...lucky I was crawling along and not in a wide open area.

Time for some gusseting smile.gif

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

No.Lucky you didnt crash though.Had to be scary.

NRath

#3 Post by NRath »

Nope, that's a new one on me. I'm sure there had to be some prior damage, that thing is welded on pretty good. Is there rust in the break or fresh clean metal all the way along the plate? Did the plate actually break or the welds?

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

If you are talking about the upside-down U-bracket that is welded to the base frame?, only Cannondale would have done such a thorough welding job. Any other company would not have bothered to weld along the inner seams, in addition to the outer seams. Or, was that missed on your frame? I just peeked at several early and late ATV's here, and all have full perimeter welding of that Aluminum bracket. I'm also curious about exactly where and how it cracked. You would think the thin steel bearing plates would fail first.

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

No Dave, it is the plate that is welded on the stem. Where the tierods are mounted to. Both tierods are still attached, but the plate is torn from the stem itself. I have not taken it apart yet to inspect thoroughly, but the PC is still on and the rust present is from the wet conditions the race was held from what I can see.

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

Ahh cool. I feel better now!, and thanks for clarifying that. I mis-read.

So,...... I just grabbed all 3 versions of our steering stems:

1. Earliest version; bottom plate is top-welded only (same as per your picture).
2. Second version; bottom plate is top-welded, and partially underwelded with a 3/4" long bead. This one has damper tines, and the same earlier head angle (offset).
3. The later stem, aka the so-callled 2003 stem, has the same welding as #2, plus an additional inside corner brace added....obviously this version has the strongest connection of the bottom plate.

Cannondale must have had some failures reported, since they bolstered the later stems down there, in addition to slightly lowering the plate surface.

2000ex

#7 Post by 2000ex »

I am going to reweld and gusset any earlier stems I have just as a piece of mind. The typical trail rider probably will never run into something like this, but better be safe than sorry. This could have been very bad if it were an MX race or a high speed section where speed and obstacles could have caused certain disaster.

Does anyone straighten stems? I have a Walsh one that is bent that I would like to salvage if possible

cdaledave89

#8 Post by cdaledave89 »

A few years ago (when Cannondale Motorsports was still in business) I talked to John Arens about getting an Arens Bros. aftermarket steering stem. Arens also had a contract to make all of the stock CDale stems. Arens admitted that the stock stems were not as good quality as the Arens aftermarket ones, mainly due to production quotas that caused them to be in a hurry during manufacturing. Arens said that, he personally, welded all of the aftermarket stems and added extra gussets, etc. When I received my stem, I found that he was right. It was a night and day difference from the stock stem.

Too bad all the stock stems weren't like the Arens aftermarket ones. I tried to find another one about 6 months ago. Ended up buying a used Houser, but don't like it as much as the Arens. Apparently there aren't too many aftermarket Arens stems floating around.