Play in Sprocket Hub

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
svahle

#1 Post by svahle »

Noticed my sprocket hub has some side to side play in it. It doesn't have hardly any rotational (forward/backward) play. I don't believe it has been this way for very long. Will these things hold up for a while after they loosen or do they go pretty quickly? Also when I go to fix it should I stick with a stock hub or go aftermarket? If aftermarket, what brand and from where? As always, thanks in advance.

Shannon

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

sounds like you need to tighten up your lock-nut.

svahle

#3 Post by svahle »

QUOTE (peterock @ Sep 29 2008, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like you need to tighten up your lock-nut.

I'll check into that. The brake hub doesn't have any significant play so I was thinking the lock-nut was tight enough. I didn't want it too tight and putting extra stress on the carrier bearings. I may go ahead and pull it apart to check the carrier bearings anyway. Might as well check everything out while I'm at it. Thanks for the suggestion.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

It takes alot of time to wreck the stock hub.It happens though.Once loose yes it can completely spin at anytime.Stick with stock ones.

svahle

#5 Post by svahle »

peterock - Thanks for your input. I tightened the lock-nut and the rearend is now nice and snug. One of the three bolts on the locking nut was broken off. With the other two bolts removed it was still hard to tighten it up because of the piece of the broken bolt. An EZout failed to do the job so I drilled out the broken bolt, tightened up the locking-nut, replaced the two remaining bolts, and all seems good to go. If it tends to loosen with only two of the bolts being used I'll replace the locking-nut. But if it stays tight, I'm going to consider the problem solved for now. Although, I expect this caused a little premature wear on the sprocket hub and that will probably get some more attention this winter. I'm considering a partial tear down for some PC on various parts. Thanks again as you saved me some time and trouble.

peterock

#6 Post by peterock »

With just the two allen screws holding you should be good. However, some people don't have luck with the 3 holding it. Just keep an eye on it and make it part of your routine to check it before each ride.