Tie Rod Ends

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cannondale27

#31 Post by cannondale27 »

The tricky part to this is getting the height correct. There is just no clearance between the joints and the frame at full lock. Honda style the stud is longer so it hits frame. Yamaha is correct height but without the exact right taper reamer the joint will end up being in to far or not far enough. I wrecked one spindle playing around with this. There just is no leeway. If you go to far in with taper its loose or opposite. Best bet would be to mount spidle in a drill press with depth set. Its very touchy. A 1/32" either way makes a big difference.

Trouble

#32 Post by Trouble »

theres gotta be a way to pull this off,this shouldnt exactly be brain surgery,there shouldnt be a mystery taper on these things.i have a extra set of arms and spindles for cannondales and hondas i will inspect the two when i get some time.You guys are putting crank bearings in dales from a suzuki so im sure it can be done but will it be worth it?Maybe for me as i have a gang of honda parts already..

UpsMan

#33 Post by UpsMan »

as stated above, with the honda ends, height is the issue.

cannondale27

#34 Post by cannondale27 »

Well Kdeal reminded me of this with the gift of a couple of the original FX400 rod ends at group ride. These were all recalled because some idiot hit a tree snapped one and blamed Cannondale. I had these on my original quad for almost two years with no issues whatsoever. Never too loose and never to tight. If I remember right there wasnt the lame slop or overly tight like all the heims have either. Plus they are a bit lighter and wont hit your frame. That means those with moto front end could probably lengthen thier shocks to original length especially with Boomers updated balljoints. Anyway I found some but only two sets and they are spoken for. If interest is high enough more can be made. Caniboomer showed interest. Now keep in mind these were recalled so dont come whining if you hit a tree and one snaps. Other than that I think this is the way to go. All the dealers at the time removed these and may have them lying around.

[attachment=8963:TieRods_001.jpg]
[attachment=8964:TieRods_002.jpg]

2000ex

#35 Post by 2000ex »

Steve,

Why not take the measurements of them with a set of calipers and see if we can match it up against something off the shelf?

These look very similar with the 1/2 20 pitch thread.
http://www.midwestcontrol.com/catdisplay_short.php?pg=224

My guess is we are not using the spacers with these like the newer ones?

jesshamner

#36 Post by jesshamner »

Will the nut still come off at Majestic when I'm about as far from camp as possible? If not, I may take a set. LOL.

UpsMan

#37 Post by UpsMan »

I like these! Especially if they last longer.

cannondale27

#38 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Sep 17 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

Why not take the measurements of them with a set of calipers and see if we can match it up against something off the shelf?

These look very similar with the 1/2 20 pitch thread.
http://www.midwestcontrol.com/catdisplay_short.php?pg=224

My guess is we are not using the spacers with these like the newer ones?

Thats the plan Wes tierods will have to be made though.No spacers with these.

cannondale27

#39 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Sep 17 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will the nut still come off at Majestic when I'm about as far from camp as possible? If not, I may take a set. LOL.

No it wont because there is a hole for a cotter pin to prevent that.Could use a castle nut or just use stock nut and Loctite to prevent loosening but in that aspect they would be safer.

cannondale27

#40 Post by cannondale27 »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Sep 17 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like these! Especially if they last longer.

One set is yours Roger.Will bring them to Valders Harescramble.