Wheel offsets???

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
m_mcgranahan

#1 Post by m_mcgranahan »

Hi,

I have been looking at the wheels and front suspension of the Dale and I am wondering if the front suspension is actually designed for 4+1 ofset rims or for 3+2 offset rims? The angle of the king pins looks life the actual center of the wheel would be ideal if using 3+2 rims. Also then it would be 2 inches wider so it would be 48 inches wide in the front. Any thoughts?

Thanks

God bless...

Mark

peterock

#2 Post by peterock »

This my take on what front rims to use. You always should widen it with your a-arms and not different off-set rims. You should use 4-1. This is because the further you move the rim/tire out side of the center line of the spindle, the more leverage you create. You will be more prone to bend tie rods and have a harder time keeping your tires pointed straight. Causing you to crank up your stearing dampner to compensate. Extra wear on everything including you.

m_mcgranahan

#3 Post by m_mcgranahan »

QUOTE (peterock @ Apr 22 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This my take on what front rims to use. You always should widen it with your a-arms and not different off-set rims. You should use 4-1. This is because the further you move the rim/tire out side of the center line of the spindle, the more leverage you create. You will be more prone to bend tie rods and have a harder time keeping your tires pointed straight. Causing you to crank up your stearing dampner to compensate. Extra wear on everything including you.

Hey Peter,

Thanks for the input. Makes good sense. Were the stock whelles 4+1? I am using a set of Walsh +3 a-arms but the fornt end is only 46" wide and I would like to get the front end closer to 50"

God bless...

Mark

UpsMan

#4 Post by UpsMan »

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure the stock wheels on the front of a cannibal are 3-2 offset. Right now I have stock cannibal a-arms and aftermarket wheels that are near 3-2, and it is 45 inches wide. How are you measuring the width? With the suspension lifted all the way up? I can't imagine being only 46" with +3 a-arms. You should be 4 inches wider than me, with 4-1 wheels. It doesn't add up. Although I have been drinking.

2000ex

#5 Post by 2000ex »

Stock wheels (fronts) are 3-2 offset. With a +3 arm you will be over 50 inches wide. You will need to run a 4-1 offset with a +3 arm to bring it to 50 inches. You cannot run 4-1 offset wheels with the 03 style stock arms unless you grind the cup where the balljoint sits as it will hit the inside bead of the rim.

I run a 4-1 offset on my +3 arms for MX = 50 inches
I run a 4-1 offset on my + 1 arms for XC and that brings me back to stock width

m_mcgranahan

#6 Post by m_mcgranahan »

HI,

I double checked my measurement and found that there was something that threw off my measurements, so I am close to 49" right now.

Thanks for your input gang.

God bless...

Mark