lower ball joints?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
joep1219

#1 Post by joep1219 »

It seems that I put new ball joints in my lower Moto a arms every other time I ride! what gives? I've had 2 actually come apart on me and 2 full sets wear out! The ones that I replaced with were the "updated" ones that Black Widow has. Does anyone make better-more durable ball joint? or am I just stuck changing mine like I do my oil?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

The joints from Blackwidow do hold up better than stock. There are two other things you can do.

Have the bore the joint fits into machined so its round and fits properly. This will make the Widow joints and even stock joints last much longer.

Or you could buy Caniboomer's setup which uses totally different joints like aftermarket uses.

joep1219

#3 Post by joep1219 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Aug 30 2009, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The joints from Blackwidow do hold up better than stock. There are two other things you can do.

Have the bore the joint fits into machined so its round and fits properly. This will make the Widow joints and even stock joints last much longer.

Or you could buy Caniboomer's setup which uses totally different joints like aftermarket uses.

what bore are you talking about? where the joint goes into the spindle?
i'm actually having problems with the ball end coming out out of the socket.

mydreamride

#4 Post by mydreamride »

steves talking about the bore that the ball joint is pressed into the arms. I think hes says that because if you were to take a bore gauge and measure the bore, don't be suprised if its out of round especially the lower arm from welding. With the bores being out of round could lead to premature wear of the ball joint

joep1219

#5 Post by joep1219 »

QUOTE (mydreamride @ Sep 23 2009, 03:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
steves talking about the bore that the ball joint is pressed into the arms. I think hes says that because if you were to take a bore gauge and measure the bore, don't be suprised if its out of round especially the lower arm from welding. With the bores being out of round could lead to premature wear of the ball joint

aaaaahhhhhh......that would make sence. so what do you think? cleanup the bores and keep running the blackwidow ball joints?

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

For the price I would just get Caniboomers and be done with it.I will be putting them on my trail quad myself and will do a how to.Might be a while though.

mattdoxa

#7 Post by mattdoxa »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Sep 23 2009, 03:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For the price I would just get Caniboomers and be done with it.I will be putting them on my trail quad myself and will do a how to.Might be a while though.

what exactly are caniboomers? where would i be able to get them from because ive gone thru 3 sets of the black widdow balljoints.

claas900

#8 Post by claas900 »

QUOTE (mattdoxa @ Dec 18 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what exactly are caniboomers? where would i be able to get them from because ive gone thru 3 sets of the black widdow balljoints.

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/forums/ind...showtopic=23535 as far as i know you have to have the 02 arms and not the 03's.

SlOoT

#9 Post by SlOoT »

That conversion wont work with Moto a-arms.

I have the same problem.

I have converted one pair of lower moto a-arms to different ball-joints, those last forever, but it's very pricey to convert them, machining is like $150 and the ball-joints over $50 a piece.