ohlins moto shock machined down?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cannondale27

#21 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes early Moto shocks are 19" later about 18 7/8".Just a small plastic spacer inside shock for the difference.

MX Quad Dad

#22 Post by MX Quad Dad »

QUOTE (2000ex @ Dec 30 2009, 09:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
MX Quad Dad.

With respect to measuring total travel you must not take the bump stop into account. Measure as if there was nothing there. The bumpstops will compress down to fractions of an inch when at the true bottom of the travel.

You also do not want the riders weight on the pegs when measuring ride height. They want you to bounce up and down and push on front and rear so the suspension "settles" when at that point rider sits on the machine and measurements are taken. You measure the rear height just in front of the footpeg.
To determine the ride height for the front end measure from directly at the forward most area of the chassis where it is still flat, behind the lower a-arm mount is the most common place.

Percentages are great and make sense, however wouldn't it be far easier just to measure at the frame and foot pegs in inches of ride height? That takes less than a minute to do. It is the same thing just much easier to measure and change without having to play around with the actual percentages of travel.

Read the "how to" on correctly measuring ride height earlier in the post to give you a step by step. It was written by a good friend of mine who does professional suspension consulting around the country.

I have just started a book of measurements I am taking for various shocks I have and keeping them on record.....pretty cool to see the differences in manufacturers setups
My moto Ohlins I have which to the best of my knowledge have not been tampered with are exactly 19 inches in length. So according to c27's info in this post, my set must be an early moto shock as all I have read is they are 18.75 inches long. I would venture to guess they just have a spacer in there on the later models.
Also the stroke on these babies is a massive 5.875 inches.

More than likely I didn't have the bump stops out on the Moto and just used the factory spec but I do know I measured it with the springs off because that how I found that the tierods were hitting the frame. The quad before it I did all the shock work on it myself and the fact the a-arms and swinger were aftermarket. I did all the measurements as directed by them. but by all means it doesn't matter all that much how you set it up (because this is just a point to start dialing it in) other than the fact that the shock manufacture desingns the shock for the percentages they recomend. every shock company including ohlin's gave me those same instructions and I found I didn't have to adjust much after useing thier recomendations. well that would be other than Ohlins because I used the lightest setting to just maintain slight pressure on the spring and still didn't have enough race sag so there was no spring adjustment after inital setup.

short cuts are nice and they do work a lot of the time but I find that if you are haveing a problem or just not saticfied sometimes its faster to do it by the book.