help again???

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
justfine

help again???

#1 Post by justfine »

Well, I carteheeled the ol' Moto again (several times), and once again I have bent the steering stem. I have a replacement and I have the old one almost out, but I can't get the stem out of the bearing at the frame. I have tried to knock it out with a hammer. I have pulled on it until I became blue in the face, and it will not budge. Any help would be much appriceated. Thanks.:confused:

justfine

jeezzz folks.........

#2 Post by justfine »

Not everyone at once. Come on. Help me out here. I am having a heck of a time getting that part at the bottom of the stem out that goes into the bearing. Any help??????

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

Sorry I really don't know but I can help keep it up towards the top til someone does. How's that sound?

Have you tried something like Liquid Wrench to maybe help out?

justfine

This is aggggggrreeevatinggggg!!!!!!

#4 Post by justfine »

I put the bars back on it, and I had someone pull up on the bars, and I tried to hammer it out from the bottom. This thing just won't budge. As I said before any help will do.

justfine

well.....

#5 Post by justfine »

Thanks for all the help guys.........just playin. I had to use an air hammer to get it out. That thing was in there way too tight. Have I offended some people on here? I just ask because nobody answers most of my posts. Actually not too many people answer many posts on here.

Big Winky

#6 Post by Big Winky »

just,
sorry about responses, I usually will answer things like this but have been very busy in the shop...so not much time left for puter. I have noticed that the plating on the bottom of the stem will corrode in the bearing. The easiest way to remove is:
unbolt the steering stem bearing retainer and pull the whole assembly up and out, then use a bearing puller to remove the bearing. The top and bottom of the stock retainer will be out of the way (it's sandwiches the bearing). If you destroyed the retainer in removing the stem.... check out our billet steering stem bearing retainer.

Mjollnir

#7 Post by Mjollnir »

Shooot, I've been offline for the last week, or I would have given you my response.

I've never done the steering stem removal operation before, but if the part is no longer good for use as anything except a bonking stick or breaker-bar-leverage-maker, I've never met a stuck part that I couldn't convince to see things my way through the liberal application of a Sawzall and a BFH. biggrin.gif