Tie rodends

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
LapTraffic

Tie rodends

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

I need to get some new tie rod ends.
What do you guys reccomend?

thanks

Jammer72

#2 Post by Jammer72 »

contact timbomoose, he still has a few sets left. Check on ebay as he has been having them on there or pm him. Tie Rod Ends

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

I got a set of different tie rod ends just recently off of 440ex4me. They are similar to the one's retroz was selling for about $60. I will have to post a pic.

blaze#52

tie rod ends

#4 Post by blaze#52 »

hey i got a set off of retro z and they are nice, a little pricy but there are holding up excellent, i'll put them to the test tommarrow at the Ironman GNCC

haydug

#5 Post by haydug »

I have a set from Retro also, and would reccomend them to anyone. I have 2 GNCC, some motorcross, and some trail riding on them and they are still tight.

fourwhls

#6 Post by fourwhls »

I have been doing some searching for the last couple of weeks for rod ends.

The dale has a 1/2-20 female rod end. This is a common off the shelf item for pretty much any bearing vendor. You will need two right hand threaded, and two left hand threaded.

You will find them for about 5-10 ea for the cheapies. You will pay around 15 ea for the top end.

I would recommend the top end. Chromoly body, Teflon/Kevlar race. This rod end is self sealing, so no need for a dust boot. It is also self lubricating, so no need for a grease zerk and messy, dirt catching, grease.

Check out this web site: www.rodendsupply.com

Their top end was quoted to me over the phone today for 14 and some change each.

Hope this helps some of you out.

Regards,
Shawn

440EX4ME

#7 Post by 440EX4ME »

Originally posted by Derno24
I got a set of different tie rod ends just recently off of 440ex4me.  They are similar to the one's retroz was selling for about $60.  I will have to post a pic.

You will find them for about 5-10 ea for the cheapies. You will pay around 15 ea for the top end.

I have not posted on this yet due to waiting to work out a final price for the set of four but tops would be around what Ron (derno) claimed $60.00 but I am trying to find a way to get that much lower.

Just for the guys that are not to up on the pro's and con's of the different style rod ends here is some basic info. There are actually a pretty large amount of different styles avail but most are just simple changes to the basic steel on steel design that are made for specific applications (many rod ends are used in air craft, aerospace, food processing, auto and various industrial appliacations and some of these have special needs) but to keep it simple and not throw away your $$$ on trial and error I would suggest just considering the inexpensive steel on steel design (steel parts with grease used to lube on both pieces of the bushing in the rod eye) and the steel and PTFE (teflon) designs.

Most of the other materials and styles will not have the strength or cost of the basic steel or the strength/self lube of the PTFE.

Both of these styles have there good and bad points but seem to be best suited to the application (cannondale figured that out when designing the steel on steel alinabal into the quad and most likely strayed from the PTFE due to cost) The steel on steel needs lube and when not lubed 100% (meaning the oil in the grease isnt able to cover the whole pivoting ball) it will wear and eventually make the front end loose etc. The PTFE needs no lube but doesnt have the strength or ratings of the basic steel on steel but will not become as loose as fast and especially when compared to the basic end when not lube often since the PTFE surface itself is selflubricating etc.

Simply either "cheap out" and change more often or go for the PTFE and do less work but dont bother with most anything in the middle.

I dont get on these boards that often but would be happy to help anyone with questions (no matter where you buyor will etc) that i can and if you dont get a response quickly try to get ahold of me thru Ron (derno) plus he is testing them right now and would be able to answer better on some questions on this actuall one.

Thanks and I hope I didnt bore everyone to death smile.gif

Big Winky

#8 Post by Big Winky »

also when looking for ends.... check the amount of angle they'll travel. you want the ones with lots of travel to prevent binding. (very important on the long travel suspensions)

NRath

#9 Post by NRath »

I've been very happy with Retroz' ends! Still no slop.

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

I am sure Retroz's end are great, but $90 is high. The one's I am using right now are similar and only cost me about $60. I was interested in retroz's until I found these. I run mostly cross country in heavy mud and muck. 3 Harescrambles and 10 hrs of riding and they are still tight.