Break-in, Bolts, & Nuts.........

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Dale512

Break-in, Bolts, & Nuts.........

#1 Post by Dale512 »

Ok, after break-in what bolts should I pay special attention too? Also is there anything special I should buy when I pick-up my quad...........fuel filter, Oil filter, etc?

Thanks

CdaleRacer0128

#2 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

wow i was just about to post soemthing like this..ive heard to loctite ALL bolts on there which seems kinda drastic, and i woudl guess to buy spark plugs and oil filters and all since you only have to ride 1 hour as a break in

btolenti

#3 Post by btolenti »

I did every bolt and nut I could get off easily (and not so easily) and I still lost some!?!?!?!?! biggrin.gif sad.gif :mad: :confused:

Big Winky

#4 Post by Big Winky »

we found a dab of silicon under the fastener head along with red locktite works real well for keeping the bolts in their holes.

Big Winky

#5 Post by Big Winky »

BTW.... oil filter is stainless steel mesh, clean real well with carb cleaner, blow dry with air hose. when installing DON'T put the filter in the hole. put the filter in the cap first, then into hole. this will keep you from crushing and trashing a $38 filter. P.S. buy extra gas!

btolenti

#6 Post by btolenti »

I think you are talking about the tranny filter. The 2003 dales have a paper "oil" filter that must be replaced with an aftermarket stainless steel "cleanable" kind or with another paper one....

LapTraffic

#7 Post by LapTraffic »

Btolenti, you dont happen to know if you need O-rings with the Scotts reusable do you? I bought one and will be installing it on my next change.

As for my bike, I lost two bolts, one on the muffler and one allen that held the body plastic on. Replaced both and havent had more. All the fasteners I did check had some kind of thread dope from the factory. Was whitish in color.

btolenti

#8 Post by btolenti »

Hey Lap,

I am not sure about the Scott's filter. I bought my reuseable from R&S performance, and it came with 2 o-rings (one for each side of the filter. THey actually look just like the rubber gaskets that are glued onto the paper filters.

Did yours not come with any? I am almost positive they wold need some time of sealing in between the filter and the crankcase, to prevent unfiltered oil from bypassing the filter altogether....

LapTraffic

#9 Post by LapTraffic »

I havent got a chance to look at it, Im in CA and the filter is with my bike in WA. I'll check this weekend.

Thanks

Big Winky

#10 Post by Big Winky »

for as often as we are changing oil, it makes sense for us to use the stainless ones