Greasing ball Joints, I messed up

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Lightman02

Greasing ball Joints, I messed up

#1 Post by Lightman02 »

I went to grease my a-arm ball joints today with a grease needle. Everything was going good till I accidently put a small hole in the lower left one. I used some pretty heavy marine grease, my question is, as long as I put grease in them will it hold up ok, or will I have to change it, and how hard is it to change a ball joint. I don't have a tourch or anything.

Thanks

sillysspeed

#2 Post by sillysspeed »

sorry to raid your thread but do the moto a-arms have the same ball joint problems as the standard a-arms

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

keep it greased it should be ok. if you clean it REAL good, you might be able to get some black rtv to hold it.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

I just looked it up and the 02 catalog shows the moto lower joints are the same part as the rest of the models. The uppers have a rod end built into them. But you can use the regular joint if you press the old one out of its holder.

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

Your not in too bad of shape, Lightman. Like CDR said, dab a little RTV on it to seal it up. Clean it with alcohol or brake cleaner first. As for replacing them, it's not too bad. I like using a bench vice to do it. Makes it pretty easy.

NRath

UGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

#6 Post by NRath »

Good thing I'm confident in my previous reply, I stabbed a hole in one of my $10 tie rod end boots last night!!! It was the last one I had to grease- they're brand new, just put them on!! Guess I shouldn't have been in the garage at midnight on a work night, I was getting impatient.