Installing moto axle

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
ABM-CANNIBAL

Installing moto axle

#1 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Can someone kind of tell me what is the best way to install a axle. I saw that someone used a press to get the hubs off. What do you do if you don't have a press. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh

CdaleRacer0128

#2 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

Also, is the sprocket HUB on? or does it need to be put on?

the Wheel Hubs do not need to be pressed on or off. Just take off the nut (30mm or Big *** adj wrench) and they slide right off.

* i took this from a thread of mine before- if the moto axle works teh same way as the stock axle, which i believe it should..follow these steps
If you are going to be taking off a stock axle do this.

1- put quad on jack so rear end is off ground
2- Remove rear wheels and hubs.
3 - remove brake calipar and or chain along with sprocket.
4- Take stock preload nut, undo the 3 allen head bolts holding it into place. Now, this is the part im a lil not so sure about..
5 - take that and either screw it in, so the threading is threaded into the nut, loosening the axle i believe. then take out the two retaine clips underneath.
6 slide off that part, brake rotar which is connected to brake hub.
7 go to other side ( sprocket side) and pull axle on out.

wink.gif

CdaleRacer0128

#3 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

oh ya, some guys say they dont even remove the calipar from the brake rotar or even take the chain off..i think this way would be much harder for the first time...and not even quite sure if its worth the trying..smile.gif good luck

ABM-CANNIBAL

#4 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Thanks alot Cdaleracer. I will give it a shot.

ABM-CANNIBAL

#5 Post by ABM-CANNIBAL »

Cdaleracer, followed your instructions and got it installed. Thanks. One more thing you might want to add to the instructions is to take the cover off of the axle lock nut. I looked forever for the 3 allen head screws until I figured out that the axle nut had a cover on it. **** I felt supid.

CdaleRacer0128

#6 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

lol its alright i think i did the same thing a while ago!smile.gif glad ya got it installed!wink.gif

badvox

I know its an old post...

#7 Post by badvox »

But if anyone can help with this it would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot get the axle preload nut off. I took the 3 holding screws out but that bugger is on their really good. Should this darn thing just come off with ease or what?

Gettin frustrated with it tryin to figure out how to get it off.

mike

badvox

#8 Post by badvox »

Its a good thing I know you carry a gun. :w:

:-) Just wanted to make sure before I go throwin channel locks on her. That oughta get r done though. :drink:

mike

badvox

This is nuts...

#9 Post by badvox »

Okay so this nut will not budge. Is it possible that ATK put red loctite on this thing? I mean I weigh 245 and I am putting everything I have into it and just will not budge..

And yes I know lefty lossy right tighty. Should I torch it or is it too close to the bearing? :mad: :confused:

mike

guthrie08

#10 Post by guthrie08 »

remember to take the 2 retaining clips off underneath then that preload nut should come right off