swingarm bearing?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
chris allman

swingarm bearing?

#1 Post by chris allman »

i'm putting new swingarm bearings in my 03 cannibal,and i was wondering if anyone had a good way to get the old bearings out?it seems like i have beat on it forever and it has not budged.

chris allman

#2 Post by chris allman »

silly ?,but does it matter which side the bearing comes out from?

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

i'm not sure if it matters which side they come out. i'd guess it doesn't matter.

you might be able to heat the 'arm up with a propane torch a little and then beat on the bearings. don't go crazy with the heat though. they are notoriously hard to get out on many different machines. your local machine shop could do it pretty easily with a press, and it shouldn't cost too much. the socket and bolt trick might work also.

jfarrar

#4 Post by jfarrar »

are these the pivot bearings?i think they only drive out toward the outside and they are no fun.i usually use a large screwdriver that i have that is bent on like a 45 degree angle on the end.this will hook to the inner race of the bearing and be able to tap it out.they are no fun thats for sure.

chris allman

#5 Post by chris allman »

yes these are the pivot bearings.thanks for the info

NRath

#6 Post by NRath »

There are a couple ways. One is to use a socket that'll fit on the inside of the arm- just slightly smaller than the bearing. Then put like a 3" extension in it, then slide a 6" extension through the other hole and hook it into the 3"(which is already installed in the socket which is in postion to push the bearing out). Then you can tap on the 6" one and drive it on out.
I'm not really much on beating on things, so I prefer using a couple sockets and a C-clamp to press them out. I've done it both ways, but prefer the second method.

cdalexct

#7 Post by cdalexct »

I just use a C clamp and a socket alittle smaller then the bearing and it press right out