Rear shock question

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
crawlr

Rear shock question

#1 Post by crawlr »

I picked up a set of used Speed Ohlins that have been converted to dual rate by Elka. (thanks Haydug biggrin.gif )

I finally got them on and the rear sits with the top spring fully compressed with just the weight of the quad on it. This had it sitting really low so I adjusted the spanner nut to bring the ride height up to normal (i set it at 8.5 front and rear after some reading) and ended up with a dual rate shock that doesn't even use the top spring. To get the ride height, the nut is so far down that the big spring is doing most all the work and the little one is just a spacer until just before the suspension is fully extended.

The history of these shocks was not known but the fronts adjusted just fine and they feel great. In fact the rear feels great too, it just seems odd that the little spring would be so soft. I can see being set up for a really light rider and compressing easily with me on it, but with no weight on it? I just think it should at least be able to hold up the quad.

Maybe thats exactly what that spring is supposed to do, i don't know. So thats why I'm asking wink.gif
I'm not even really concerned about it. It works fine for me the way it is. I just want to know if that spring should be a little stiffer so I can think about making it even better sometime down the road

jfarrar

#2 Post by jfarrar »

you spring is working like it was designed to do.

crawlr

#3 Post by crawlr »

Thanks! So should I set the ride height a little lower so that spring actually does something or should I just leave it alone and ride it? I don't really want it to be lower (does 8.5" front and rear even sound right?) but I just don't see the point of having the spring if it is only used for 1/4" of travel. I'm gonna run it the way it is, I was just hoping for a technical explanation biggrin.gif

jfarrar

#4 Post by jfarrar »

what type of riding do you do? i run mx and set mine between 6 and 7 in depending on track conditions.i think elka sets those up to fit in that area.jeff at the quadshop can give you all the tech jargen he sets up these with the elka conversions.

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

The spring is fully compressed under normal weight. Then when you are in the air the shock fully opens and that spring helps hold it together by keeping tension on the larger spring. Then when you land you have the full shock length to start compression with. It takes a little getting used to with the lowered ride height but it makes you much more stable.

Jaybr

#6 Post by Jaybr »

It's a zero preload setup, I have the same on both mine. That spring allows the quad to sit lower, and it allows you to remove the preload from the main spring without worrying about it falling out at full extension.

JeffQuadShop

#7 Post by JeffQuadShop »

Like the others said, the SSD (self sagging device) spring is supposed to colapse under the weight of the bike. This lowers the bike into the travel a little to help with the handliing. You should also have the rear converted to match those fronts if it hasn't already been done.
With the front and rear converted you should be at or near 8.5" from the bottom of the frame to the ground with you sitting on the quad.

crawlr

#8 Post by crawlr »

Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Like the others said, the SSD (self sagging device) spring is supposed to colapse under the weight of the bike. This lowers the bike into the travel a little to help with the handliing. You should also have the rear converted to match those fronts if it hasn't already been done.
With the front and rear converted you should be at or near 8.5" from the bottom of the frame to the ground with you sitting on the quad.

Sweet! That seems to be exactly what I have and that's exactly how i set it up.

Thanks for clearing this up for me

Lippy91

#9 Post by Lippy91 »

At what points on the quad do you measure at? Do you measure just in front of the battery and near the swing arm or do you measure near the front bumper and at the end of the swingarm?
When've gone to the races this year people have noticed that my rear sags alot lower than my front end. The front end sticks up in the air too high, but I havn't had time to play with the adjustments.

JeffQuadShop

#10 Post by JeffQuadShop »