+1 or +2 setup

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CptHook

+1 or +2 setup

#1 Post by CptHook »

Ok so somewhere along the lines here, hopefully sometime soon, pending my college budget doesnt overule I would like to widen my dale. Now I need to decide whether to go +1 or +2, Im not even going to consider +3 because I dont have the money and I would still like to be able to hit the trails too. I plan on using stock 16" ohlins except for a tripple rate SSD conversion by TQS. Right now I am running wheel spacers which are +2 in the rear and +1 in the front with stock offset wheels which makes a total of 2 inches wider in the front and 4 in the back, thus making my rear end 2 inches wider than my front, dont ask me why this is, thats just the way they sell them, they didnt have a +2 front. So since I am half and half right now I dont really know which way I would like to go. I would preferebly like to go with the +2 setup because it would give me options for some small mx stuff, and I know it will fit in the trails I ride in. My big question is, is it impossible to race XC with a +2 setup? I know I can just buy a narrower offset wheel to bring it down to a +1 if needed, but considering I just bought a brand new set of stock offsets I would like to not purchase a new set of wheels unless absolutley necessary.
Any advice would be helpful guys, thanks

CptHook

#2 Post by CptHook »

Im suprised noone has an opinion on this, or maybe the post was too long to make worth reading?

speedy911

#3 Post by speedy911 »

i dont know how tight your xc trails are, but in our races in ftr some places you wont make it with +2. i have no experience with mx.

CptHook

#4 Post by CptHook »

Thanks speedy, anybody else?

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

i'm using +1's with 3.5/1.5 offset front wheels. makes my front end right around 47". there was never a spot where i couldn't fit through but if i had +2's i would've needed to find a different way around. a good promoter would design his course around the widest production quad made, but some guys cater more to the bike crowd. i took ****** and dirt out on a little guided tour a few weeks back. they have moto's with 18's. to my suprise they went everywhere i did, even through the mud. i think they would've gone a little faster if they wasn't as wide though.

cdalemx301

#6 Post by cdalemx301 »

Hey i got plus 2 asr and a lonestar axle im 50 in the rear and just under 50 in the front....the trails around here i dont have a problem on but i dont know what ur trails up in maine are like i race mostly mx with the occasional trail riding thats why i went 50 inches....ur more then welcome to make the trip down to mass and take it for a ride if u want

cdalerider75

#7 Post by cdalerider75 »

CptHook

Are you ever going to venture down to MASS??? Always looks cool when we get a group ride with the Cannondales together.. crowds always gather to check out the dale... plus not many quads tricked out with the extra's so we end up standing out alittle more...

cdalemx301

#8 Post by cdalemx301 »

hey come on hookk make the trip down i think we are riding this sunday if u wanna make the trip

CptHook

#9 Post by CptHook »

Id love to come down there guys, but its definiatley not going to happen this weekend, Ive got a buttload of finals coming up in college, two of them due on monday, not to mention I still dont have my rear wheels in yet, Ive been waiting for them since before thanksgiving....