Why is no link setup better?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
bowhunter74

Why is no link setup better?

#1 Post by bowhunter74 »

:confused:

jacobw

#2 Post by jacobw »

more wheel travel and less moving parts to wear out and no linkage to be exposed to harsh terrain and the elements. You will see a lot of 250r with no-link setups and machines that get massive amounts of wheel travel. A linkage is just something that eventually limit the amount of travel with a no-link there is more travel:) I might be wrong so someone fill me in if I am

Exodus

#3 Post by Exodus »

Tuneablity is also a pretty good reason. In my opinion it is far easier to tune a linkless swing arm than one with a link. You get a good feel of how the suspension is actually traveling, sometimes a link will play tricks on you when trying to fine tune the suspension and a link will disguise what is actually happening in the rear end. A link will also slow the rear down, since there is so much leverage and moving parts, the rear end is slow, compared to a linkless swing arm. It has a dead feel, especially in the short choppy braking bumps and G-outs.

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

What's a G-out?

Cdale_racer_669

#5 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

my definition for g-out is when u are powersliding and spin out. dont know if thats right:eek:

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

The reason most use a link is because of a airbox and carburator and all the other junk hanging on the back of most motors the shock has to be positioned almost straight up and down and shortened to fit.Do to the position almost straight up and down they arent progressive(soft then stiffer at end),short shock less travel.Link gives the shocks leverage for travel and progression.
Now our motors which dont have all the junk hanging off the back of the motor have plenty of room to position the shack at a nice angle for progression and travel:D

bowhunter74

#7 Post by bowhunter74 »

Thats the info I'm looking for. Thanks :hammer:

Cdale_racer_669

#8 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

isnt this the opposite of dirtbikes. ive always heard link is way better becuse of better response in the rear end, and less shock travel means less heat which means less fade, and the leverage lets u get travel out of it too. quads just another story or wat?

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

No-links were all the rage a few years ago in MX.Alot of TT guys still use them since they are usually lighter.It is a trade off as far as the heat and shaft speeds but due to the room cannondale had to work with our motor design they were able to get the shock where it needed to be to work without a link.I also think a nolink allows the swingarm to be made stronger since the shock doesnt have to go through the swingarm.

jesshamner

#10 Post by jesshamner »

So a G-out is when you slide around corners?