Studs for the ice, what size

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdalerider75

Studs for the ice, what size

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

I have hole shots tires and wanted to know what size stud should I get so I can bring the dale out on the ice? Also how many should I screw in per tire, locations?

cdalemx301

#2 Post by cdalemx301 »

dude i thought i told u this on our ride from ohio....u need to measue how much tread u have left and go from there....i bought a 1000 screws i think i put 700 in the rear and split them 150 a piece up front...ill send u pics this weekend of the pattern i did....simply one on each corner of each tread and ne in the middle then the fronts are just on each corner of the centerline tread

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

I use 1in. studs(ice screws) that way they go all the way through the tire and dont fall out.Yes they hold air perfectly as long as none fall out.

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

Last year I put four Kold cutters in each X on my Holeshots they were 1/2" long. If I started pushing hard and sliding around corners, I would loose them fairly quick. My son switched to his turff tammers that were cut for MX and put 3 in each nobby that was left and he didn't seem to loose as many as me, and that completly surprized me. We put quite a few in the front and the Moto is set up with 41/2 degrees camber and he seemed to loose a lot out of the front. My thoughts are if you try and cheap out and not put very many in, they will pull out. I was going to try that theroy this year, but my son bought me ICE tires for Christmas and I put 960 Kold Cutters in the pair. Just need everything to stay frozen long enough to be able to get on the ice. He is geared and runs 18" rears and we have been waiting to test out his Timbo crank. We are planning on taking it out tomarrow and I plan on putting my 20x9 Ice tires on it to see how much torque the stroker crank puts out.

If the 1/2"ers don't stay this year, I am going up and buy 2000 1"ers. I guess the next step is to put nuts on the inside.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Mx did you get the Cheng Shins?If so the rubber is really hard and helps hold the studs in.In those tires I run 2 studs in each outside knobby at a angle and 1 in all the rest of the knobs.Paid a neighbor $10 bucks to put em in but he gave up after one tire!