Moto arms bushings

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
haydug

Moto arms bushings

#1 Post by haydug »

I have found a set of moto arms pretty cheap, but they need bushings. I remember when Jaybr bought his used arms, he ended up with alot of money in the bushings. Does anyone make aftermarket (like delron) bushings for them? Has anyone looked into it yet?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

I have a project underway for the stock bushings and inserts already, and could get some estimates..... interestingly, our latest '03 "delrin" bushings are not Dupont delrin at all?... and when compared to the earlier FX400/Cann bushings, are much harder not stiff-pliable like the earlier material.... my source says neither version is actually delrin... and now even better material is avail for bushings.... looking for solution not insane overpriced.
If you have an extra old Moto A-arm, you can send along with my seat, can study for matching or re-engineering & get costs, can't hurt to try. Of course, I still need to pay for the seat first!!biggrin.gif

wistech

#3 Post by wistech »

Ive alway had good luck making suspension bushings out of Ultra High Molecular Wieght Plastic. Its cheap and easy to machine on the lathe. I think Im going to make some for my next set of swingarm pivot bearings to get rid of the rediculous pile of parts that are in there.

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

Haydug,

Are you talking about the bushings, or bearings?

The bearings in the moto arms are off aircraft wing flaps and cheapest I found them was like $18 a peice.

After looking them over when I replaced mine, I really don't think the bearings are what wears. Some of my bushings/spacers where aluminum and some looked like steel. I think it's the aluminum spacers that wear out and cause the play.

It would be nice to get some of those machined out of stainless.

BTW: I think I saved my used bearings, and they have no play in them. let me know if you want them.

MX Quad Dad

#5 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I replaced all the bushing on our Moto A-arms a couple years ago. I think three of them failed early in "02". We limped by the whole season with them tho. There is a problem with them or at least mine. The grease zerk is to long, even with the spacer, plus some of them don't line up with the grove around the outside of the bearing. The RBC bearings I replaced them with had a larger grove. The factory ones that the grease zerk hit the bearing and didn't line up with the grove, didn't take grease from new and actualy pushed the grease out between the outer bearing and the tube, and none or very little on the spherical part.

I bought the new bearings from a bearing supplier but I had to do some digging on the internet and find the part number myself. I think I paid about $12 apice.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is the thread listing all the part numbers and prices aftermarket.

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...=&threadid=5707

Jnine

A-Arm Bushing Material

#7 Post by Jnine »

Hello Guys:

You are right that the material of the A-Arm bushings is NOT Delrin.

As you found out, the earlier bushings were made of a softer material, and then a change was made to a harder material in later years. The reason for the change was that the softer material sometimes became a little "gummy" and instead of pivoting freely would cause a little friction at the pivot. It wasn't bad, but the change to the harder material took care of it. I can't remember the exact series number of the material, but it's definitley not as hard as Delrin, and they were all made by a place in Conneticut.

The UHMW one of the other post talked about would be a fine substitute however.

Good Riding.

Jnine