moto steering stem

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
jacobw

#11 Post by jacobw »

I have a 03 cannibal that has the gusset on the tierod mount. Jaybr what stem do you think I have? Ok to run a houser Lt setup with my stem? it also has the damper mount tabs

CannondaleRider

#12 Post by CannondaleRider »

I have an 02 stem, i think. I'll have to ask krash. I know its at least an 02 because it has the stabalizer tab.

My question is, if I went with Houser +3 Long Travel arms, would I have to get a new stem for tie rod clearance

guthrie08

#13 Post by guthrie08 »

doug that would be good, one more question though, im waiting till later for a-arms and suspension. will the houser work with my stock tie-rods, a-arms, and then when i have enough money and get the skills for longtravel lol will the steering stem work with those, thanks.

jacobw

#14 Post by jacobw »

Originally posted by jacobw
I have a 03 cannibal that has the gusset on the tierod mount. Jaybr what stem do you think I have? Ok to run a houser Lt setup with my stem? it also has the damper mount tabs

so does anybody know if my steering stem will work with a long travel setup????

Brad77

#15 Post by Brad77 »

The way to tell if you have the stem with the lower tie rod plate is to jack up the front end and remove one of the front shocks. With the shock removed grab the tire and lift it. If you have the earlier plate which is higher the tie rod will come in contact with the frame before the ball joints bind.

At least this is what happened on the 02 that I have before I switched everthing to 03 specs.

cannondale27

#16 Post by cannondale27 »

Jacob if it has the gusset it will work.
At some point in the list they also moved the tierod points on the steering frog further or closer from the stem I cant remember which.This slowed the inputs from the steering and was a big improvement at higher speeds in my opinion.

Jnine

Stem Specs

#17 Post by Jnine »

Hello Guys:

All the stems are interchangeable.

This post is correct with the changes:
Original stem has 10* tilt at the bar mount, tie rod plate is higher on the stem.
next version - early 02 - tie rod plate is lowered
version 3 - mid 02 - they added tabs for the steering stabilizer
03 stem has strait top bar mounts, low tie rod plate, and tabs for stabilizer.
They are all considered anti-vibe having rubber mounts for the clamps
They are all chromoly, and where made by Arens Bros.

The original stem had an 18* tilt at the top, and the reason is it moved the centerline of the bars 10mm ahead of the centerline of the steering stem main column. I hated that part, but when Tim Farr tested it and mentioned it should be changed, it was changed rather quickly. ALso, the holes in the tie rod plate were moved forward and a little closer to the center of the main column early in the project, and the tie rod plate was moved almost as low as it can go to help remove bump steer. It don't think it's possible to safely go any lower than the stock stem because of the reduced weld surface for the little support wings.

Hope that helps out!

Jnine

claas900

#18 Post by claas900 »

..if we could go lower with the tab would it reduced bump steer?..Were is the fine line for when we go to low with the tap mount?...It looks to me if we wanted to lower we could,flip the tap and mount the heims under the tap,or is my thinking wrong on this??

Jnine

Stems

#19 Post by Jnine »

Hello again:

I haven't looked at it for a long time, but I know we had the tie rod plate down almost to the step for the bearing surface, so going lower there would be almost impossible. You need that little wing for strength.

Mounting the tie rods on the underside of the tie rod plate would be a huge change in the tie rod angle, and probably would make things much worse. They almost certainly would hit either the lower a-arm brackets, or a frame rail. Changes of only a few millimeters make a huge difference, and every change effects all the other associated parts.

J9

claas900

#20 Post by claas900 »

..Glad to have you aboard Jnine..