Axle problem

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CannondaleRider

Axle problem

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

I was starting to put my sisters Moto back together today, because Krash got the swingarm he needed.

Well, I get the Carrier out of his broken swingarm, and put it in his new one. I install the swingarm. Then I get the axle to put it in, and it looks like part of an old Carrier is STUCK on the axle. It looks like there is a sleeve of metal from the sprocket hub to where the brake hub would be.(I would get a pic, but krash has the camera)

I was thinking I could heat it up with a propane torch and get it off, but I don't know where our propane torch is:confused:

Any ideas

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Is it the spacer that goes between the bearings in the carrier?

If that's what it is it shouldn't be that hard to get off, they normally slide on and off

MX Quad Dad

#3 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I'm confused, do you want ideas of what might be the spacer or where the propane torch is???????:eek:

cdrookie

#4 Post by cdrookie »

sounds like it might be the inner race of one or both bearings.

CannondaleRider

#5 Post by CannondaleRider »

I know it won't slide off....its ON there.

I think it is the inner races because theres a lot of round grooves, from what looks like the inside of a bearing. But it spans from the sprocket hub to the brake hub, do the bearing cover that whole span?

Krash was thinking he could just use his torches at work to get it off, because he thinks the material on it is aluminum so it should come off easily.

We HAVE to get this thing together

Jaybr

#6 Post by Jaybr »

It sounds like it's all 4 inner races, and the spacer sleeve:eek:

The only way the spacer would still be on there is if one of the bearings came apart when you took the axle out.

I'd say a torch will get it loose, just keep in mind it's probably 5 seperate peices.

kdeal

#7 Post by kdeal »

Jay's got it right. I just had to use a press to get that all apart, and it scared the heck out of me. It was frozen from rust. The crush sleeve Jay is talking about is just a hair bigger than the axle itself and welds itself to the axle. The other resistance is the four bearings themself. Take it to a shop and have them press it off.