Squeaky steering

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Mjollnir

Squeaky steering

#1 Post by Mjollnir »

I'm just being lazy here.

Is there a grease fitting or something in the steering bushing? My steering is squeaking really bad, sounds like it's coming from just under the fairing, below the handlebars. I haven't had the fairings off to check it out yet, no time last night, but I was just wondering what the fix is. If there's no grease fitting, I guess I should just inject some lithium grease of something in there, eh?

Thanks,
Marc

Redman

#2 Post by Redman »

What I did when I put my new stem in is just smear grease in the rubber bushing. It makes steering a little easier and no more squeak.

btolenti

#3 Post by btolenti »

I did the same thing. THe only bad part is that you have to remove a lot of stuff to get to this...

AlaskaSpeed

#4 Post by AlaskaSpeed »

I did the same thing, a lil grease in the rubber bushing and squeak is gone. There are NO grease fittings for it......JIM

LapTraffic

#5 Post by LapTraffic »

I thought I might have slightly tweaked my steering stem in one of the frequent roll overs I do to impress the ladies. Guess it's a common item. How long does it take to strip all that crap off to grease?

Redman

#6 Post by Redman »

Too make things quick and easy, they sell some type of grease in a spray can. I have seen these at ceretain stores, but just spray some on and keep on turning the stem to make sure it goes through. I just had mine out so it was easy.

jamiesel

#7 Post by jamiesel »

I had the same problem. I had a bit of sand stuck in there and it squeeked like a sonafagun. grease fixes er right up. I hope it does not eat up that huge bushing in there. Might be hard to get from cdale.

Mjollnir

#8 Post by Mjollnir »

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be lubin' her up real soon. (woohoo!)

Marc