Upgrading the FX400 front end

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
chigger81

Upgrading the FX400 front end

#1 Post by chigger81 »

Ive heard that the front end on the fx400 needs help. I know it was recalled and Im not completely for sure, but I think the safety issue may have been fixed by cdale on the quad. Just assuming its stock, what do I need to replace?
I plan on racing maybe 2 or 3 races out of a season and the rest will be pracice and hard trail riding. I know the swingarm has been know to crack, but I think I will just wait till it does and then worry about it.
I know its kind of un-related, but do I need the motor mount update or not, Ive been told I dont because I have a good case but I really know nothing about the problem.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Do the motor mount it is cheap insurance.Update on FX is replacing the old Aluminum ball joints and tierod/ends.I would recommend 03 steering stem also makes handling much better and tierods wont hit frame when running long travel suspension.Handling part is just my opinion though.Not neccesary.

jwheat

#3 Post by jwheat »

If you replace the a-arms, be sure and tell them that it is an 01 Cannondale and don't just say Cannondale.........the spacing of the mounting tabs for the a-arms on the frame are different from the later models. A-arms off of later model Cannondales won't work on your quad.

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

Almost true, but not quite -- the A-arms are exactly the same, but the FX400 did not use the "flanged" steel inserts...instead, your existing inserts are flush with the edge of the black bushings. To use newer stock A-arms, you merely exchange the steel inserts, or use your existing ones....I have a set of new FX400 inserts if you go that route (but balljoints were the only "issue"), and a stainless motor mount. If your balljoints have that dreaded X pattern and THH printing on the flat surface, change them! and pre-grease the new ones! happy racing biggrin.gif

chigger81

#5 Post by chigger81 »

would recommend 03 steering stem also makes handling much better

How about an 02 stem? I can steal one on ebay if it would be better?

jwheat

#6 Post by jwheat »

Canniboomer is right about the a-arms. I went back and checked my stock a-arms against my buddy's Blaze a-arms and he is right. The inserts are the difference.ohmy.gif

chigger81

#7 Post by chigger81 »

ok, Im keepin my eye out for a couple things on ebay now, thanks for your help everyone! BUT I need to know if the 02 stem is better than mine. This thing is going in about 30 mins!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4536528334&rd=1

chigger81

#8 Post by chigger81 »

Canniboomer answered my question!!

Thanks!