swingarm bearing removal

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdalerider75

swingarm bearing removal

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

I would like to get my swingarm Powercoated... and was told that I needed to remove the bearing. I was also told that you destroy the bearing when you remove it.

Are both of these statements true?

How (if you can) do you remove the swing arm bearing WITHOUT killing the bearing? I don't have allot of hours on my dale.

Photos please..

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

Boy are you in luck. Im powdercoating a brand new swingarm today and will post pics tonight on how to do it . I have r&r these bearing several times without damaging them. Unfortunatly if the roller outer sleeve has been distorted from the hole in the inside of the arm you might not be able to save them. Pics will be up late tonight.

cdalerider75

#3 Post by cdalerider75 »

John.. seems like anyone that knows you is in luck!!!! Can't wait to see the pics..

IRONSIDE

#4 Post by IRONSIDE »

Im powdercoating a brand new swingarm today and will post pics tonight on how to do it .

Hmmmm, would that be a red swingarm Wis? smile.gif

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

you can easily remove the bearings without destroying them. But you should replace them if they are getting worn.

KRMit

#6 Post by KRMit »

Originally posted by Happyboy
you can easily remove the bearings without destroying them.  But you should replace them if they are getting worn.

Yeah. When those bearings go they cause a lot of damage.

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

First carefully pry the seals out. Then remove the thrust washers underneath

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Leave the long sleeve in the needle bearing to support it from colapsing. Then find a large socket that matches up with the wide part of the swingarm and will let the bearing fall into it. Then get a smaller socket that is as close as posible to the id of the bearing hole. It has to press on the thin edge of the bearing or it will crush the ends .

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

Carefully press the bearing out . I HIGHLY recomend using an arbor press(or vise) and not a BFH .

cdalerider75

#10 Post by cdalerider75 »

Thanks Wistech:clap: U D man!

:usa