Rear Axle Bearing Carrier

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdalerider75

Rear Axle Bearing Carrier

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

In the process of putting everything back together and have a couple of questions regarding the rear axle bearing carrier.

Location A - I assume that this is the bearing and should rotate? In my bearing carrier, the bearing seems to be locked into place.

Is that bearing (both sides sopp. to rotate?

Location B - Seal

I tried to remove this with a screwdriver.. seems like it is glued into place...

Anysuggestion on how to remove?

In the end is this bearing carrier shot?

KRMit

#2 Post by KRMit »

A are two of the bearings and yes they should rotate. Go ahead and get new seals when you buy new bearings and you won't have to worry about tearing those up. Just get a flathead screwdriver in there and pry them out. Don't try prying the bearings out though, they have to be pressed out.

cdalerider75

#3 Post by cdalerider75 »

Any clue on where to get the bearings? Or how much?

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

All Balls sells them. I think doug carrys them.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

The bearings are the same as a 400ex but the seals are different. Any quad shop should have the bearings in stock. The seals can be reused or ordered from a bearing supplier. The sizes have been posted a couple times . I think they are also on ther seals themselves to.

KRMit

#6 Post by KRMit »

I paid about $15 a piece for the bearings and reused the seals when I did it. I think he said the 400ex bearings were $30 a piece.

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

The kit from allballs has everything, seals and all. I have noticed that those bearings are hard to turn anyway once they are installed. Instead of turning by hand shove your axle through them and then turn it. See if it moves smoothly or not. You won't be able to see if they are turning with the seal and washer installed. I had some that seemed bad but once they were pulled out they were fine. Almost like our bearing carrier is just a hair too small.

And retail on the kit is only 50 bucks. 4 bearings and 2 seals.

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

I dont know if you guys ever do it but I always carefully pry the seals off the bearings and fill them with grease or semifluid. Then they will last for years and years. New bearings have almost no lube in them so any moisture that gets in there trashes them quickly. I started doing this about 10 years ago and have never had a bearing failure since.

UpsMan

#9 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (wistech @ Apr 15 2005, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont know if you guys ever do it but I always carefully pry the seals off the bearings and fill them with grease or semifluid. Then they will last for years and years. New bearings have almost no lube in them so any moisture that gets in there trashes them quickly. I started doing this about 10 years ago and have never had a bearing failure since.

I know this is an old post, but I did some checking today on some bearings I am about to install. Wistech, you aint lying. I was amazed at the lack of grease. Here is the before and after. I will always do this in the future.

haydug

#10 Post by haydug »

The perfect setup is to drill out the carrier, install a zerk fitting. Then, pop both seals from the inner bearing, and inner seal from the outer bearing. After installing the bearings into the carrier, pump it full of grease. Use new seals.

If you freeze the bearings before installation, they will fall into place.

Getting them out is also very easy, take a torch and heat the outside of the carrier until they fall out.