FX400 Suspension Questions

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CannondaleRider

FX400 Suspension Questions

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

I have been thinking lately about suspension and everything for my FX and have thought up a few questions.

I've read on a few occasions that the FX400's were known to have twitchy steering, I asked krash(previous owner of my FX) and he said that he didn't think so. But is this so called "twitchy steering" something to do with the frame, actual suspension, steering stem, or what?

And another thing, i'm getting a little worried about the spacing on my frame, when we put the Moto suspension in it, it was a b!tch to get on, the Moto arms are a little to big for the spacing on the frame. And when we put my suspension on one of his Motos to keep it a roller, there was A LOT of space. The reason i'm worried is i'm going to be going with Houser +3 Long Travels, and i'm not going to want to modify some brand new Housers just to "get it to work", so what problems will I run into? Could I force them onto the frame, withour binding during suspension travel?

Thanks

wistech

#2 Post by wistech »

The fx400 steering stems mount the tie rods farther out on steering plate allowing less leverage but more turning ability. This make the wheels turn quite a bit for little steering input (twitchy). Steering effort is much harder because of this and feedback from hitting stuff is increased. A newer steering stem or relocating the holes will fix that. The a arm mounts are also have a smaller gap so to use moto arms you need to cut down the spacers in the moto bushings to make them fit.

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

We didn't have to cut down the spacers on the moto arms, we just forced them in, it was a pretty tight fit, but not EXTREMELY bad.

Now what about Houser arms, they dont have the spacer like on the Moto arms do they? If not, what will I have to do

cdrookie

#4 Post by cdrookie »

i had to do some work to get both of my sets of housers to fit...:confused:

for some reason it seems that the earlier Houser arms(without the needle bearings) fit the newer dales. and the newer Housers(with needle bearings) fit the older dales...:confused: :confused:

the newer arms should fit right into the opening on the frame if you don't use the supplied washers. and the newer arms have a few features i like better... you can put the grease fittings on either side of the bearing and there's a fitting for the lower ball joint.

CannondaleRider

#5 Post by CannondaleRider »

Thanks guys, that makes me feel much better:)