Ohlins rear shock leaking

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

JacobW,

According to Kenny's shock guy, his site says you must use Ohlins fluids for the correct "feel". I'm wondering if the seals are made for certain fluids only. Like the Ford ATF & Dextron?????

jacobw

#12 Post by jacobw »

my shock guy uses silkolene for shocks. I wouldnt think it would have caused it to leak.

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

I use Amsoil in mine and Ohlins oil in others unless asked.Ohlins is a very good oil but the Amsoil seems to last longer less contamination from wear.Ask ten different shock rebuilders what oil to use and you will get ten different answers.BUT I definitly would go with someone with Ohlins experience because they are way different than anything else out there especially valving wise.Wayne at PEP has also been doing Ohlins for over 30 years but wait might be outrageous.NoLeen also has alot of experience.Check out the internals of a Ohlins notice how it has two pistons.

Iamjacob

#14 Post by Iamjacob »

DIRT,

Are you saying that the SSD conversion isn't a good idea for an Ohlins shock? Is it better to go out and buy a shock that's already set up as ZPS than convert an Ohlins?

jacobw

#15 Post by jacobw »

Jeff@TQS did my conversion and I am sure that he would not put a conversion on a shock if it would work properly jeff is kinda particular about that. So when I got back it needed rebuilt I foget to have jeff rebuild it and I had local race tech shock guy rebuild it and he said ohlins had the worst seal design he had ever seen and was wary about it holding. He only put 175 psi of nitrogen it it I asked him tonight I am gonna call ohlins and see what shey say and he uses silkolene oil he said its better oil that what elka uses in thier shocks.

bradley3000

#16 Post by bradley3000 »

i have heard really good things about ohlins shocks that pro action motorsports had re-done

jacobw

#17 Post by jacobw »

the shock works and feels great I just want it to stop leaking oil. I may end up buying an elka though if I cant get it to stop leaking.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

Doing a ZPS setup to the rear Ohlins will still give you the benefit of lower ride height but I do know it would require major valving changes unless you want to have a very stiff ride.Jacob take everyones advice and get the shock rebuilt somewhere else.Your local guy is covering his mistake by saying the seal design is bad.I have a front set of Ohlins that are 15 years old and only thing ever chaged was a wiper and oil.I dont make a habit of revalving shocks since that requires alot of experience and data but I have had RaceTech valved shocks and they werent even close.

jacobw

#19 Post by jacobw »

I appreciate all the help guys I just am unsure what to do I have never had many people work on my stuff and I am apprehensvie about sending it somewhere. I need to get it valved yes and thanks kenny and cannondale27 I will prob end up sending it to propilot or someone that know alittle mre about them I will call them today.

jacobw

#20 Post by jacobw »

I thought my local guy would be able to do it he had done all my other shocks. I wasnt saying that what he done was right i was just telling what all he had done and seeing if it seemed right to you guys. I was heeding youns advice I need to call and get it sent off.