Interesting Works shocks

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
twisted

#11 Post by twisted »

Yeah Works arent bad, i'd say 100% better than stock, my budddu has some on his mx banshee and they work pretty good. I have tripple rate elka ohlins and I like them too.

TheJaspMan

#12 Post by TheJaspMan »

I think it has far less to do with the quality of the shock, and everything to do with the customer service. Without going into some long posts, I have some horror stories about MONTHS of sending shocks back and forth trying to get them right. And this situation is STILL going on.

And I am not even talking about setting them up for a rider. Just getting them setup for a MX Z400.

Once the project article comes out I can explain further. But trust me when I say 'they will not be getting any future business from us soon'.

TheJaspMan

#13 Post by TheJaspMan »

Originally posted by tooth&nail
Here's why I don't like works. I went from stock shocks/arms on a banshee to+2 +1 arms and works triple rate shocks set up for 225# rider ,aggressive mx . I weigh 200# in full gear ,rode class b , they bottomed worse than my 3 yr old stockers , sent them back to be corrected 10% stiffer, 3 weeks later , same problem , returned again , again 10% stiffer, 3 weeks later , no noticeable differance , returned again , 30% stiffer , 3 weeks later , they changed the 2 lighter springs to the same dia. wire as the main so I still had three springs and they still sucked:mad: bottomed just as bad as the stockers , they were much better on small stuff, but if you got more than 2' air :eek: :eek: :cry: . They have a new name in our area "Don't Works" This was about 4 years ago mabe the've changed but I"m not trying again

Nope, no change. I question whether they have seen the kind of riding that goes on these days. I think they are stuck in 1985.

I take them this way:

They sell a ton of shocks. That is because people can afford them. Therefore they see no reason to improve. Or even offer any amount of effort into customer satisfaction.

The spring issue, you hit it on the head! It seems like they are guessing when setting up shocks. We have seen the EXACT same thing.

Exodus

#14 Post by Exodus »

Sorry to hear about your luck with Works Jasp. I never had any customer probs on my end because the shocks I bought felt pretty good, so nothing ever got changed. I had a couple of freinds who bent shafts on some works jumping their 400ex's. They never had any probs getting parts or having them warrenteed, but were pretty bumbed that they bent like 3 or 4 shafts before buying a set of Elkas. Thats the only prob I have heard of personally. Mentioning Elka, it surprises me that those shocks are as popular as they are being that they are a mass produced shock. You would think people would dump on Elka like they do works because of the cookie cutter valving. I have never dealt with Elka personally, other than having a friend of mine nearly loose his dealership over SSD conversions. As for the shocks, good shocks, easy to work on.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

I know for a fact every long travel Elka for a YFZ is initially valved exactly same whether you are 150lb or 250lb A or C.Only difference is springs.Springs are of course important but valving is what makes a shock especially ZPS.

Exodus

#16 Post by Exodus »

I would be willing to bet about every shock is biult that way. It makes sense, why would you spend the extra money on having someone valve it, most people want it now. And most riders cant tell the difference in valving. So slap some springs on it, and send it out the door. If its not right, we'll deal with it later, that the corporate attitude isnt it. Spring rates are an easy way to hide valving differences to the average rider. I propbably tell the difference in valving if I rode two valve styles back to back, but not if I just picked up a set and bolted them on.

TheJaspMan

#17 Post by TheJaspMan »

I have personally never bent a shock. But I have seen both Elka and Works a few times. And even one TCS.

Shocks are a tough gig. Elka has the right combination of mass production and quality going. But PEP and Axis are good for personal riding level & style. If you can afford them.

I'll tell you another player to keep an eye on Ohlins. Not that they have to prove much to Cdale owners.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

True most wouldnt know but most who race would.Might not be able to quite put a finger on problem.PEP,Axis and TCS do have very specific valving for the rider though it might not be right every time.It is different.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

Jasp everytime I talk to Ohlins guys I beg them to make a ZPS shock.Thier PDS shocks like we have in rear and now they offer fronts are kick butt.But not ZPS.Kind of says something for ELka when Gust gets his valved by NoLeens.

Exodus

#20 Post by Exodus »

I agree with Jasp, I love the heck outof my Ohlins. They are by far the best shocks I have ever owned. I do wish Ohlins would make a SSD shock, and make it right. Thats the only prob with the Ohlins and SSD is its not a perfect valving halfway through the travel. But in most cases, it does just fine. To be fair though, I have never rode on a set of PEP or TCS. Both shocks look way trick and especially the PEP big bottles. The Axis shocks I didnt like, they were way soft, and they really dont want to sell anything with rebound. They will try thier damnest to talk you out of rebound, why, the shocks dont offer the same travel with rebound as they do without it. The shocks I would really like to try is the Fox Evols, they look like they would just be the poop. Talk about infinite valving adjustment, and adjusting it yourself. The only thing I dont like is not having SSD. On the tracks I ride, they dont get rutted out, so keeping the bike low so you can corner faster is desirable. No need to keep the frame 8 inches off the ground.