TCS blaze shock conversions

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
DMAC10

#11 Post by DMAC10 »

Thanks guys
I think I'll just change to the 22" tires for this weekends Ironman, I really don't want to play with the shocks right before the race, I don't have time to test.

But after the race I'll sure be doing some adjustment. I really haven't had much luck in the past making adjusting, or actually understanding what I was doing, so this winter will be the learning curve.

Thanks
Again for the input.

kdeal

#12 Post by kdeal »

Good Luck Donnie!

Guy310

#13 Post by Guy310 »

Donnie, it's rare to adjust ground clearance for an XC race with spring preload. That controls ride height, which is very important for correct suspension action. I would go this weekend with both sets of tires, just in case, and see what the other guys are running. Guys that run this series all year will have the good setup for tires. I think you will be on the GNCC's. They are getting rave reviews and I just don't like 22's unless you are in the desert or something like that. That is extreme ground clearance. At any rate, good luck this weekend, show them kids what old school can do.

Happyboy

#14 Post by Happyboy »

Maybe its best to clarify what i meant. It is important to have a very slight incline (1/4" ) from the rear of the frame to the front of the frame. (measure at the level points at the rear of the cradle to just in front of the cradle.

Adjusting the rear shock ride height, especially on a ZPS makes a big difference. Usually what i have seen is people dropping rear end down to get a lower ride hieght which actually drops the rear of the fram's ground clearance down. And in turn in order to get a level ride people drop the fronts some too. Not the best way to control "clearance" but it does work.

So, check your rear cleance just at the back of the cradle and see where you are at. If you are at like 4-5" then you are kinda low for XC and will beat up the rocks.

Guy310

#15 Post by Guy310 »

I wasn't disagreeing with you Happyboy, simply backing up what you said. I just wanted to let Donnie know that the way to get 2" of ground clearance was to change tires if he felt he needed the 2", not lower it using spring adjustment. I have seen many of your suspension posts and I would not dispute your knowledge.

DMAC10

#16 Post by DMAC10 »

Happyboy,Guy310
Thanks for all the info.

I have no clue my clearance, I'm going to check tonight,

A friend of mine wants me to run at the Balance mx track next week so I'll definantly be bugging you two, to help me get dialed in.

I'll post in the morning my clearance and see what we got.

Thanks
D

Happyboy

#17 Post by Happyboy »

lol, no. I am not a suspension guy by any means. I know a few things but am not an expert. We need to get Jeff Stoess in here and he can tell us how it is. I just wanted to resay what I did before a clearer way. The most important part is getting your shocks setup for your riding style. If that is XC then it will be valved and sprung to be at that ~7"-8" ride height.

DMAC10

#18 Post by DMAC10 »

Well I checked the ride height last night ( I measeured from the floor to the bottom of the stock skids) I didn't remember which location Happyboy said. Hmmmm alhtimers rolleyes.gif

With the 20" GNCC I was at about 4 1/4 ", I changed to the Razor 2 ,22" tires and now its sitting at 6 1/4'.

It will have to do, but I don't think its sits much lower with 18" tires as it does with the 20" tires. After this weekend I'll have to start playing with the shock and see whats up.

So I will need some lessons so I understand what I'm doing.

Well I'm about to hit the rode.

Thanks again Guys for the information.

jesshamner

#19 Post by jesshamner »

Well, I think Jeff says that you should measure just behind the pegs at around 8.5-9.5 inches and the same for the front measuring from just below the radiator. And I'm pretty sure that happyboy is correct about the incline from rear to front meaning the the front sits a little higher than the rear.

Happyboy

#20 Post by Happyboy »

QUOTE (jesshamner @ Oct 20 2006, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I think Jeff says that you should measure just behind the pegs at around 8.5-9.5 inches

I would tip over at 9.5"!! smile.gif