Ball joint popped out

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Canniboomer

#11 Post by Canniboomer »

... if you just compare the sharp A-frame later '03 A-arms to the earlier ones, you will see the ptential problem. Note the large arc of welding right next to the machined socket. They machined for the balljoint Before welding them up, and then distorted the holes while welding them.
With the earlier lollypop-endend A-arms, there is less occurence of the balljoints popping out.
Carbon fibre or not, squeezing new joints into an "ovaled" hole can leave the same risk of popping out again. The Stock '02 A-arm assemblys may be a better way to go,....and can often can be found rather cheap compared to new balljoints and bushings, etc. Also, they are much easier to replace the balljoints with the provided Cannondale tool (not avail for the '03 arms). And, you have more clearance around the shocks and shockcovers, etc.

If you stay with the later '03 A-arms, yep please check the bores for perfect roundness before pressing new expensive balljoints into them... smile.gif

dalewannbe

#12 Post by dalewannbe »

QUOTE (yamadjs08 @ Aug 4 2006, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blackwidow has them, I believe all 4 balljoints for $100. Mine are getting sloppy, I need to replace them soon...

Replace them sooner verse later. I had my first ball joint pop out today. The good lord must have been with me today. I had just finished the motocross section, and a big nice step up jump, and then another jump. The ball joint popped out when I braking hard to make a turn, I realized what had happened after I couldn't steer. I was very fornuate there was no quad flipping involved. I was 7/8 of the way around the last lap. I walked to the finish line to get scored.

We put the front end on a utility quad with racks and towed her back to the trailer.

jesshamner

#13 Post by jesshamner »

I went ahead and replaced them all. Should be good as new.