Difference in steering stems

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
kdeal

#11 Post by kdeal »

Yes, I did misunderstand what you are saying. The Glamis bars are correct with the "straight" '03 stem. The Moto is puzzling though as I thought they mostly came with the straight stem as well. I haven't seen enough early Motos to know for sure. But the Moto was the reason for the change to the lower plate position on the bottom plate to keep the tie rods from hitting the frame. It seems like the taller riders like the early model stem more.

4strokemadman

#12 Post by 4strokemadman »

You guys are right on here....the last version of the stem with the plate moved down and the gusset on top reduces bump steer by a significant amount. Not to mention there is a different steering feel by putting the top mount in line with the stem. A little factoid here....the top mount was put in line with the stem solely due to feedback from Tim Farr. He hated the angled one.

claas900

#13 Post by claas900 »

Glad to see you around Madman.

NRath

#14 Post by NRath »

Yeah, kudos for the reply, Madman- Glad to see your still checking in on us!!

Hey Deatons and Kdeal, I'm not surprised at all that the older Moto has an angled top. I'd like to know what the bottom plate is like, though. Does it have a stiffener welded across the bottom? If so, that means it's a longer plate meaning significantly different geometry than your Glamis.

I remember when Dirt Wheels did their first test, they talked about twitchy steering- it was primarily because of this stem, I'd bet.

kdeal

#15 Post by kdeal »

I believe all of the straight stem tops have the lowered bottom plate. It's the angled ones that have so many variations. I still believe that most, if not all of the Motos have the straight stem and lowered bottom plate. The change to the final version was done very late in the 2002 model year or the beginning of 2003 on all models. Since the Glamis is an '03 model, they all have the last (straight) stem. The first Motos were sent out around January 2002, which is mid-model year. It would be interesting to see what other early model 2002 Motos had. Seeing how the bottom plate mod was a must for the Moto due to tie rod clearance, I'll bet that there maybe some angled top stems with the lowered bottom plate out there as well.

thedeatons

#16 Post by thedeatons »

Shoot me a picture of what I should look for, I will look this week....

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

laugh.gif Trying to make sense of the parts combos Cannondale sold has always been a nightmare!

NRath

#18 Post by NRath »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ Jan 9 2008, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
laugh.gif Trying to make sense of the parts combos Cannondale sold has always been a nightmare!

Isn't that the truth!! I sure wish they were still around (I think I feel a tear).

I'll try to snap a few pics and get them posted over the weekend. Once you've seen them, the descriptions will make more sense and you'll realize they're very easy to differentiate.

NRath

#19 Post by NRath »

Ahh, the elusive pics...

the numbers are reference for the dims in my earlier post.

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

Cool!