Ohlins rear spring

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
peterock

#11 Post by peterock »

I'll check the sping in my garrage tonight from when I had the conversion done to mine.

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

This may be a long shot but we had a 400ex that we found a spring from Mcmaster carr that fit perfect in. It was 20 bucks and made it ride great for a 125 pound rider. Ill see if I can locate the spring if you want to try it. He eventually went with elka shocks soi I know its just laying around in the garage.

Speed 1B

#13 Post by Speed 1B »

Canniboomer has the moto spring and im gonna try it. If i dont like it ill let you know. Thanks wistech.

peterock

#14 Post by peterock »

my extra spring sitting here is 698-36/105 L122

Speed 1B

#15 Post by Speed 1B »

OK...after some more thinking im back to the drawing board. Is a ZPS set-up the way to go on my rear spring or just a softer spring?

I am thinking about doing a few different things:

a. buying a zps spring set and putting them on and trying it.

b. buying a moto spring and trying it.

c. sending the shock to pro pilot and having it set-up with zps.

d. buying the springs and having cannondale27 revalve it.

e. OR finally having 27 revalve and use a moto spring.

Sorry if it seems like im going on and on but i really dont know jack about suspension. What i do know is that my rear shock is hurting my riding ability right now.

Im open to any and all oppinions.

UpsMan

#16 Post by UpsMan »

What exactly is happening when you ride that is the problem? Is it too stiff when you hit a bump, is it rebounding too fast and kicking you, those two things can feel the same sometimes. Are you able to bottom it out off of a large jump? Do you hit large jumps? For a woods machine, I don't know if that is much of a concern. What ride height are you at?

Speed 1B

#17 Post by Speed 1B »

It is way too stiff when i hit a bump. I know for a fact the shock im using right now has a problem. Steve (C27) looked at it at the group ride and it is bottoming out before it even hits the rubber bumper. So what i am going to do is change out that shock with a known good one that i have layin around but before i do i want it set-up for my weight and riding style. Havent checked ride height so i cant answer that now but ill take a measurement. Jumping is minimal, but if i do wanna grab some air i dont want to have a problem. Im just looking for a really nice plush set-up for my riding style. I dont know exactly what i need to do to achieve this so thats where im looking for help. I do know that the stock cannibal/speed spring is to heavy for my weight (160-165) so just wondering what direction to go.

cannondale27

#18 Post by cannondale27 »

If you ZPS the rear you need to do the front.For trail riding although nice its really not necessary.Another issue with ZPS converting the rear Ohlins is our Ohlins is a PDS shock.Position sensitive damping.So in the last two or so inches of shock travel it is designed to get extremely stiff.It does this with a second piston and chamber.Well if you ZPS it you are already into that last few inches before you even hit a bump.There is only one/sometimes two companies doing ZPS conversions who remove the second piston to allow for a plush ride in the end of travel but if doing that you are in effect neutering the shock.Might as well do a fox.That said buying a set of springs and putting them on is a good alternative since the vast majority of converted Ohlins shocks converted by the big companies do not have any internal changes done whatsoever.Valving is exactly the same as stock or 1 shim removed from compression side.Nothing wrong with that.It works.But it is not the same as buying a shock that was originally designed to be ZPS.Heck alot of the conversions by the time it is low enough to be effective its sitting on the Bump Stop.So really what I am saying is if you want ZPS buy a ZPS shock.I cant think of anyone with more experience doing no-link ZPS setups than PEP.Here is a pic of our shock so you know what I mean about the two pistons.[attachment=4761:TCS_Elka..._valving.jpg]

UpsMan

#19 Post by UpsMan »

The best rear shock I have ridden on so far has been the dual rate conversion I got from Adam Warren. It is nice and plush, yet resists bottoming very well. The elka I am using right now is very good also, but not as good at resisting bottoming. I could probably up the compression damping some, but I don't want to give away any plushness on the small stuff, its a trade-off you know. I am running mx only though. I sure wouldn't bottom out either one in just woods riding.
C27, I sent you my mx tech converted rear with the fronts Pete should be dropping them off. mx tech forgot to fix that little o-ring we talked about earlier. Wait until you see his dual rate job. It is different from any other I have seen. It looks like he put my original spring back on and added a collar and small spring. Maybe Speed 1B could try it out if he wants. I don't really need it.

I ran my set up in the 6 hour race and it felt great in the woods. I'm sitting here trying to remember anything that I would have wanted different that day as far as suspension goes, and nothing somes to mind.. I always would like a plusher ride, always....When companies are making shocks for mx versus xc, what do they do differently?

cannondale27

#20 Post by cannondale27 »

They make them plusher for xc.Higher ride hieght also.