Frustrating!!!

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
wright

#11 Post by wright »

freeze the axle and heat the hubs.

thedeatons

#12 Post by thedeatons »

LOL... Chris and I just talked about this here at work... You freeze both in this case - Here is why:

The hubs will not have an inside diameter decrease, but more of a material recession, causing a better fitment due to less protrusion of the splines, same with the axle.

Heat will make material grow outward, not recess, as cold will do.

Think about your ring finger, when cold your ring slips off, when hot the ring is stubborn to remove.

This is the theory we came up with, and it seemed to work for him. Not saying it is 100% scientifically accurate, just a theory and a result.

desertbound

#13 Post by desertbound »

Well, the hubs started to go on with a lot of force. I wouldn't of been able to ever get them off if I kept going. Something is wrong. I'm done. Now my axle is ruined because I had to beat the hubs off. The splines are all torn up. Stock hubs won't even go back on. I don't understand. I counted the splines, I lined them up, they look the same. $100.00 down the drain for the hubs, and who knows how much for an axle now.

Dachshund

#14 Post by Dachshund »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Jun 12 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ughhhh! Everyone I have asked has said the 400ex hubs are a tight fit, but the 450r hubs slide right on. I'm going with these hubs because they are extended. They don't make a honda pattern/yammi spline combo. I can't afford an axle right now, and this was gonna be a temporary fix for that. Oh well. Maybe a little work with a hand file will help.

The G-Force hub part numbers are the same for both the 400EX and 450R.

I had a terrible time with my new DuraBlue axle. The stock Cdale hubs would not fit but with a lot of persuasion by my friend, "Sledge Hammer", I was able to get them on. With the hubs being aluminum it was doable.

UpsMan

#15 Post by UpsMan »

QUOTE (desertbound @ Jun 12 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, the hubs started to go on with a lot of force. I wouldn't of been able to ever get them off if I kept going. Something is wrong. I'm done. Now my axle is ruined because I had to beat the hubs off. The splines are all torn up. Stock hubs won't even go back on. I don't understand. I counted the splines, I lined them up, they look the same. $100.00 down the drain for the hubs, and who knows how much for an axle now.

$100? Why are you messing around with hubs for that price? You can get a used lonestar +4 for that much.

UpsMan

#16 Post by UpsMan »

Also, don't worry about wrecking your stock axle, those can be had for nearly free. You just have to ask.

desertbound

#17 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jun 13 2008, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
$100? Why are you messing around with hubs for that price? You can get a used lonestar +4 for that much.

I haven't seen any used axles for that cheap.

desertbound

#18 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (UpsMan @ Jun 13 2008, 03:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, don't worry about wrecking your stock axle, those can be had for nearly free. You just have to ask.

Yeah, I have had a couple offers, and I really appreciate everyone's generousity on this site. I think I'm gonna search ebay and the sites for a while, and see what comes up.

quadracer500

#19 Post by quadracer500 »

Here are some suggestions, i use the gforce 400ex hubs on both my quads, to get them on the first time i attach a automobile axle puller to the studs, then heat the spline area of the hub with a propane torch , line them up and knock them on with the puller, to remove them i just use the puller and they come off fairly easily.Hope this helps.

rich

desertbound

#20 Post by desertbound »

QUOTE (quadracer500 @ Jun 15 2008, 07:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here are some suggestions, i use the gforce 400ex hubs on both my quads, to get them on the first time i attach a automobile axle puller to the studs, then heat the spline area of the hub with a propane torch , line them up and knock them on with the puller, to remove them i just use the puller and they come off fairly easily.Hope this helps.

rich

Good idea. I actually got hooked up with a moto axle. So I'll have a set of these for sale. That axle puller is basically a slide hammer with a puller mechanism, correct?