Which Front suspension?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
440EX4ME

#11 Post by 440EX4ME »

Originally posted by cannondale440
Thanks for the fast replies,  It looks like I will be getting the houser.  They are pricey but I believe they will make up for it in function and durability.  Thanks for the opinions:usa

Think you will be happy.

How "pricey" are they now?

They werent that badly priced at all when I got mine about a year ago.

Well compared to the others not to the cost of the materials there made of LOL rolleyes.gif

fourwhls

#12 Post by fourwhls »

I did a lot of research on a-arms a while back. I called pretty much every company manufacturing arms and questioned them to the point where they almost hung up on me.

I wanted to know details. Grade of metal used, grade of welding rod used, wall thickness of the tubing, ball joint size, caster angle, camber adjustability, etc.

Most of the companies thought I was trying to steal their ideas and produce my own product. I was just making sure I was getting the most for my buck.

I am a mechanical engineer for an aerospace company so design and construction played a big factor in my decision.

Out of all the companies that I called, Houser was the only one that had a mechanical engineer with his professional engineers liscence (John Houser) designing the products. He actually had the arms modeled using the appropriate software and had done some finite element analysis on them to determine where and how much force it would take to break them.

I was thoroughly impressed and needless to say, I have run houser's on every bike I have had since.

To make a long story short.....Go Houser you wont regret it.

thomez

#13 Post by thomez »

Question for ya fourwhls - did you call Teixeira during that process? Just wondering if you had any info on them. They are like underground or something you don't see anything about them anywhere. From what I've seen they look to be nicely constructed. I'm just doing as you did, trying to look at all brands and find out what the best A-arm is for me. Did you find info on weights on any of the brands? Some look heavy, some look light. I know unsprung weight is important for the best suspension performance. Sorry for all the questions, but this thousand dollars is an important purchase for me. I can't afford to make it twice.

fourwhls

#14 Post by fourwhls »

I have never even heard of Teixeira.

I didn't concentrate on weight at all. I was looking more toward the strength aspect. I wish I had the spreadsheet that I created when researching this. It was on my hard drive that took a dump.

All I can say is....Do your homework and make an educated decision.

Don't buy a product just because someone faster than you is running it. If that was my methodology, I would have a garage full of parts.

thomez

#15 Post by thomez »

Originally posted by fourwhls
Don't buy a product just because someone faster than you is running it.  If that was my methodology, I would have a garage full of parts.

That wouldn't narrow it down at all for me :w:

I'm trying to figure out what is best for ME. Strength, weight, and geometry all have to be important IMO. If you are interested in the Teixeira here they are - Teixeira

I've only heard of them like 2 other times. Just wonderin if you had contacted them. The other companies I know of that make long travel arms for a Cannondale include Houser, Gibson, Lonestar, Walsh Racecraft, Eyeball Engineering... all I can think of. I'm still looking for opinions on all of them. Looks like everyone likes the Housers so far, just wondering if anyone has anything else and their opinions on them.

haydug

#16 Post by haydug »

I checked the teixeira's out, they look like a cross between Leager and Houser. They do not have needle bearings where the a-arm mounts to the frame though. I would say if you look hard enough, you will find alot of different brands, but I would stay with a reputable company in case you have any problems in the future.
I think if you were to call Houser and speak with them directly you would see they are very friendly people and will be glad to help you or answer any queastions you have about there products.
Hope this helps

Derno24

#17 Post by Derno24 »

Does anyone have any thoughts on Eyeball??? Just curious.

thomez

#18 Post by thomez »

I looked at Eyeball and I didn't see a long travel version listed nor have I seen anyone with them ... but they look relatively nice and are priced right. I'll look at them a little closer and see what I find. I'm trying to look at all. Those Teixeira's look pretty nice and I like their construction - like Doug said somewhere between Houser and Laeger. 2 companies that copying would be an asset for sure.

Derno24

#19 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by thomez
I looked at Eyeball and I didn't see a long travel version listed nor have I seen anyone with them ... but they others look relatively nice and are priced right. I'll look at them a little closer and see what I find. I'm trying to look at all. Those Teixeira's look pretty nice and I like their construction - like Doug said somewhere between Houser and Laeger. 2 companies that copying would be an asset for sure.

I guess I should have clarified myself I was just looking at +1 standard travel. Houser's were just too much money compared to these arms. I was just curious if anyone had a set and knew how they worked.

dawzie

#20 Post by dawzie »

I'm running Walsh on my Dale. I think if they where anybodies elses they would have been bent or broke with the three big crashes this quad took this season. Fully adjustable also.

We have a full Houser/426. This quad is also holding up rather well, but the a-arms are non-adjustable and the front plastic bushings wore fast. We bought replacement ones from Houser and he said they are a better bushing now. No discount though.