Why is no link setup better?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdrookie

#11 Post by cdrookie »

Originally posted by jesshamner
So a G-out is when you slide around corners?

no, a G out is like when you go down a steep inbankment then immediately up the other side. picture a U. the bottom isn't very wide or long might be a better word, maybe a quads length. a roller coaster is a good example...go down a steep hill and right back up another. if done fast enough(which normally isn't all that fast) you'll feel like you just cased a 120' double when you go through the little saddle on the bottom. the G stands for gravity. but then again it's extremely cold so maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about...

and DIRT- that Arens must handle like $^!* :w:

Cdale_racer_669

#12 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

what i meant is when u are sliding, and oversteering but u go to far and slide out. thats always what ive known it as, but im all the way on the other side of the country so who knows lol:drink:

Sandstorm

#13 Post by Sandstorm »

Well said. The japs can't make a quad where the shock is long enough for the required travel w/o useing a linkage system.. To much junk in the way as C27 stated..
Originally posted by cannondale27
The reason most use a link is because of a airbox and carburator and all the other junk hanging on the back of most motors the shock has to be positioned almost straight up and down and shortened to fit.Do to the position almost straight up and down they arent progressive(soft then stiffer at end),short shock less travel.Link gives the shocks leverage for travel and progression.
Now our motors which dont have all the junk hanging off the back of the motor have plenty of room to position the shack at a nice angle for progression and travel:D

jesshamner

#14 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by Cdale_racer_669
but im all the way on the other side of the country so who knows lol:drink:

Weirdo....j/k:p

Exodus

#15 Post by Exodus »

A G-out is a hole generally at the bottom of a jump, out of a corner, places like that. Basically, its where everybody gets on the gas in the same place. Looks like a whoop, but they are spaced out about where the shift points are when you accelerate. Anyway, thats what we call them around here, most of our tracks are sandy and after a few bikes ride over the track, they cause G-outs and braking bumps. Braking bump the same thing, but usually they happen going into corners, where you get on the rear brakes and the rear tires bounce causing holes.

jamiesel

#16 Post by jamiesel »

No link setups get better traction.

MX Quad Dad

#17 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I was doing some digging a while back when my son was racing, There were a lot of claims that made sence and even more that didn't. The most noticeable thing I noticed (that nobody claimed) was the link suspension seemed to get a lot of freeplay after one season of MX. But our Moto after a full season didn't seem to have much freeplay. I am not sure how much the freeplay affects traction, but it seems to me the shock can't do its job in that part of the travel.

I personaly believe the more shock stroke needed for the same amount of wheel travel, makes for more finer tuneing abilty. But there is allways a cost, for instance weight, shock location and fesable mounting of the shock.

jamiesel

#18 Post by jamiesel »

When LRD was makinf no-link and linked rear ends on the r's they claimed the link was less harsh but the no-link was better traction.