swingarm bearing removal

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdalerider75

#11 Post by cdalerider75 »

BTW... what size sockets did you use.. just to get us in the ball park... also your grease looks red, is that correct? I just know that the grease in mine is very very black.. and sounded like there was dirt inside.. 2 years.. well 1 year with a good amount of ridding.. so I was going to replace the bearing.. not sure if it needs to be replaced.. but I wanted to have the swing arm PC where it would be easier to clean..

wistech

#12 Post by wistech »

Socket sizes vary widely between brands in OD so unless you have the exact same set it kind of useless info. If your bearing are over a year old they are most likely shot. The grease in this arm has red and white grease because this was a brand new never installed swingarm. I use Jet lube waterproof moly grease.. Its available from Mcmaster Carr.

cdalerider75

#13 Post by cdalerider75 »

OK.. I had to press out mine on the opp side as you did.

Used the following
(1/2 drive) 13/16 craftman socket
(1/2 drive) 18mm craftman socket

18mm socket fits into the inside of the swing arm (area where the engine is attached)

13/16 socket fits on the outside (carfull not to damage the outside lip).... the socket should be the same size as the round surface of the swing arm)

Placed the spacer, like you said inside the bearing

placed it all in a vice and slowly closed the vice, the bearing will drop inside the 13/16 socket!!!

cdalerider75

#14 Post by cdalerider75 »

Here's a pic, I think that this is my first tech tip post with a photo..

BTW can we make this a sticky, how about starting a tip and trick thread?

Also can you merge this with the other swingarm bearing post

wistech

#15 Post by wistech »

Oh no he is posting pics. biggrin.gif Order up another R&D lab coat. :clap: